Religious holidays

What is your favorite holiday from within your religion and what it is that you like about it/what makes it special to you?

Nsbgirl

Asked by Nsbgirl at 3:43 AM on Sep. 4, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• CHRISTmas. What's more special than the birth of the man who came to save the world from Hell? Without Him, we would never get forgiveness and would all go to Hell no matter what. Jesus did a lot of good things for people while on Earth and continues to do so. I serve a risen, live saviour. He is always there for you and loves everyone no matter who they are or what they've done. One of the best things about Christmas is helping others. People are more open to the idea at that time of year. Its great to tell my kids and others what it is all about.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:54 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Easter. I love Lent , the time leading up to Easter because it's a time to slow down and do some inter reflection.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:05 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Funny they mention Xmas and Easter, 2 Pagan holidays celebrating the seasons re-tooled to be "Christian" :-)
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 6:43 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I like Xmas best for the whole family feel and the joy it brings my kids knowing Santa is coming and the look and feel of the house. Its a fun time.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 6:44 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Zoeyis - yes the time and some of the traditions surrounding Christmas and Easter have Pagan roots. It does not make the holidays, as they are celebrated today Pagan. I'm pretty sure you would have said something similar about nearly any religious holiday that a Christian had stated. There are only 365 days in a year - any *new* religion is bound to celebrate something on a day previously used for by another religion. Most Christians know that we selected those days as days to celebrate the birth and death of Jesus - we know why they were selected (yes, it was to alter the Pagan holidays) and we don't pretend that those are the actual anniversaries of the events.

Christmas is my favorite as well. The warmth of having family around, the feel of the house when it's decorated, the food, midnight Mass, kids opening presents in the morning, all of it - there isn't a down-side to the whole season.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 6:58 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• "... we don't pretend that those are the actual anniversaries of the events."

No offense, really, I don't think the common layman is even aware of its origins, hence why they don't have to pretend. They never took the time or concern to really research it, its just Xmas/Easter to them and thats all its ever been.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:01 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• i knew this would happen lol. but I'm not looking for a debate, that's why I didn't post it in the debate section. interesting info though. thanks everyone for your answers so far :)

Nsbgirl

Comment by Nsbgirl (original poster) at 7:38 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• All of the Christians I know (and I know a lot) understand the history. It's been talked about during Mass even (at the homily). I learned about the Pagan roots from other Christians (I don't know that many Pagans). It does seem that your experience is different than mine, but there are large populations of Christians out there with an understanding of the history. I'm not sure how you are defining "common layman" but being Christian doesn't necessitate a disinterest in history.

And so what if it is just Christmas/Easter to some people? Just because a holiday has a history doesn't mean that they're celebrating something different than what they are today. Who cares?
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 7:39 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I agree with Dr.Donna, I know a lot of Christians who know about the Pagan holidays around Christmas and Easter.

Nsbgirl

Comment by Nsbgirl (original poster) at 7:48 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Funny they mention Xmas and Easter, 2 Pagan holidays celebrating the seasons re-tooled to be "Christian

It's great how we all share a common ancestral history.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:18 AM on Sep. 4, 2010