Not Listening..

How can I get my soon to be 4 year old to actually listen? I'm told she's an intelligent little girl for her age, but I have to say her name several times before she turns around.

_Tam_

Asked by _Tam_ at 4:09 AM on Sep. 4, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• That's so normal. Kids at that age get easily distracted by things that they find interesting. If he wont look your way when you call her try gently tapping her shoulder or something like that. They grow out of it.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 4:13 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• My sis-in-law's kid was kind of doing the same thing the other day.Finally we called him saying that "baby, come here we have got a milk chocolate for u" and he actually listened. So I guess some kids ignore us purposely as they know that we may be calling them to do something which they don't like. So try doing something interesting which she likes a lot and make sure you call her for that once or twice in a day. Hope this will make her reply to all your calls.
    hetua

Answer by hetua at 4:21 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I'm hoping so.
    _Tam_

Comment by _Tam_ (original poster) at 4:15 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• When you figure it out let me know! Mine is almost 3, I call her and if she doesn't come the first time I grab her arm and explain she needs to listen. Normally she says "what mommy?" but getting her to pick up her toys or listen to "no Kyla! Don't touch!" is HARD! She needs to be in the right mood.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 4:18 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I'm noticing that the word "finicky" comes to mind when I try to get her to listen. Sometimes she will and others she won't. I have to sometimes bribe her to do something; but never with candy or sugary sweets. She loves, for instance, getting a chance to play in the bath every single day. She doesn't need one every day, but she likes it a lot. I tell her sometimes that if she wants a bath, she has to be a good listener. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
    _Tam_

Comment by _Tam_ (original poster) at 4:22 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• i think it might be a kid thing. my newphew has to be told fifteen times. my kids, it depends on where we are at and the type of vioce i use. but i think its more of testing you than anything.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 5:18 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Say the word "candy" or "icecream" With her name. It might be cruel you do not plan on giving it to he but it will get her attention. Or clap you hands together. If my DD's did not listen or come when I called them I would go find them and THEY WOULD GET IN TROUBLE. Not going to tell you what I did when I found them.

Answer by louise2 at 6:12 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Is she really not listening or does she have a problem hearing. My cousin had a problem of this sort and she had fluid in the ears that prevented her from hearing and they thought it was because she wasn't paying attention.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 10:20 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• my son is the same way!! and im told the same thing hes so intelligent ..
    kris8525

Answer by kris8525 at 11:33 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• It can be both a problem of selective listening (not wanting to come because they're happy with what they're doing) and being so engrossed in what they're doing that they really don't hear you. Just keep encouraging her to be a good listener, giving her praise when she responds and telling her that you're not happy with her listening when she doesn't respond. It will pass, it has passed with my older two.
    lovesergei

Answer by lovesergei at 2:41 PM on Sep. 4, 2010