did you buy gifts for your other children after baby was born? if so what kind?

I'm having a baby any day now and I keep reading that it's a good idea to bring the other children a "gift" when you come home with a new baby, did you do this and if so what kind of stuff did you get your other children?!

babyangelromero

Asked by babyangelromero at 4:11 AM on Sep. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• Dh went into the hospital's gift shop with ds who was the older sibling and he bought (from ds) a stuffed dog for the new baby and for ds we got him a shirt that says,"I'm the big brother" though its still in the packaging lol. The best way to avoid sibling rivalry is to give equal amouts of attention to all kids and don't stop praising older kids for doing well and don't stop doing things with them that you've always done.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 4:24 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• i never bought them anything. wait, i did them have the buttons that said it's a girl. charana's preschool teachers did go out and buy her some gifts, and sent home one for the baby.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 5:15 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• No, why would I do that?

Answer by louise2 at 5:56 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• No. Why would you do that? Teach your children that other people get to have recognition without them getting something to. Teach them to allow others to have "their day" and to be happy for them. It will keep them from being selfish and self-centered.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:50 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• When I had my youngest I bought my oldest a book. I think it was Little Critter's The New Baby.
    Shell89

Answer by Shell89 at 3:38 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• My 4th was 20 months when his sister was born (my other three were much older) so I bought him some small toys off of craigslist in the months leading up to her delivery so I would have something new to pull out and entertain him when I needed a few minutes with his sister during the first few days at home.

Answer by missanc at 8:26 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• well, when our oldest (Dameon) who was 16 months when his little brother Ashton was born, we thought that maybe he would get jelous about having a new baby taking up his time with mommy and Daddy... so before Ashton was born we went out and got him a bed set of his favorite movie at the time ( disneys cars) and ordered a "CARS" toddler bed for him.. after ashton was born we got home and sat his bed all up that day, and told him that he was a big boy now and that ashton was the baby and that he was his big brother:-) he LOVED his new bed... im sure it didnt have alot to do with the bed gift but he never had problems with having a newbaby around.. he LOVED it which i was very ahppy abot.. now they are best friends:-) who fight over toys every once in a while
    momaholly

Answer by momaholly at 11:34 PM on Sep. 4, 2010