Strange Names?

I was given a hard time a lot when my daughter was born almost four years ago. A lot of people would ask me her name. "Belladonna Satine," I'd tell them. The looks on their faces just killed me. The only thing they associated "Belladonna" with was the plant.. which is poisonous when taken in large doses and used as a sleep aid when taken in small doses. It also means "beautiful woman" in any Latin-based language. They used to think I was strange, weird, even being mean to my daughter for giving her that name.

But you know what? If I'm not careful, she's going to live up to the Latin description. I'm also pretty happy that I was able to find such a beautiful and unique name for her. There are none like her.

Have people teased you or poked fun because of the name(s) you chose for your child(ren)? How did you deal with it?

_Tam_

Asked by _Tam_ at 4:27 AM on Sep. 4, 2010 in Baby Names

• I knew my daughter's name would be Kaia years before she was conceived. There were several original meanings and honorings included originally and they grew and grew. My daughter is as deep as her name. Everyone thought it was beautiful and most pronounced it correctly. A couple dumb people thought I was naming her after pot (at which point I had to educate them on the real meaning of Kaya even when used in a picture of pot) and when she was in first grade she wanted to be named Caitlyn like every other girl she knew (thankfully I didn't hear that for long). We are waiting to reveal our son's name to most people - it just has to do with the importance of names to us. His name will be strong and give him movement, direction, honor some things and people just like my daughter's name. My sister said something kind of bitchy, but I really don't care what she thinks. My daughter wanted him to have a K name but it was not meant to b
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 10:43 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• No because both of mine have very popular names. I didn't mean for it to be that way, dh and I just really liked the names a lot. I think Belladonna is cool. To me it reminds me of Stevie Nick's first solo album, with the same name :-)

SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 4:44 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Well my daughter's name is Paige Celine and we use both names. Not Paige Celine, either the first or the middle name. But people react weird when I call her Celine. I ADORE the name Celine and she likes it more than she likes her first name.
    When I call her Celine people usually say "Dion?" But I named her Celine because it's my mom's middle name as well!
    mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 5:51 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I usually get an eyebrow-raise over MaryJane's name.
    I was thinking about naming the zygote "Apex Ultimate".
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 6:54 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I don't care for traditional names being misspelled and wrongly called "unique", but some truly unique names are very nice. I think if I had a little girl named Belladonna, I would call her Bella ... very pretty.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 5:15 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• our daughters name is irelyn kailea and people give me a look like what were you thinking or they add a d to the end and i always have to correct them
    luvmyaustin

Answer by luvmyaustin at 4:17 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• My daughter's name is Scarlett Abigail and EVERYONE thinks I got her first name from Gone with the Wind, Scarlett O'Hara. But I didn't. I've never read the books or seen the movie and from what I know, she's a freshy fresh. lol. And I so hope my daughter never turns out like that! If anyone ever has anything negative to say about it, I just smile and tell them that's their opinion. She's my child and I can name her whatever I want, it's none of their business. And I am very confident that she will love her name when she gets older.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 10:35 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• My parents did not agree with my dd's name... Kyla Lynn Marie. I love her name, people ask me all the time and some are shocked but I think it's the most beautiful name! It's perfect for her, she loves it! My parents are used to it now and haven't said anything lately... A lot of people are like "how did you come up with that name?" or "really??" but I wouldn't change it for anything. Everyone has their own opinion but that's all it is! As long as my daughter likes her name that's all that matters!!!!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 4:42 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• When people hear my DD name they just fall in-love with it and think that it is very pretty girls name. My friend a few years back had a little boy and named him Anakin yes it's originally from star wars but she really liked that name and really wanted to name her child it. So she did and people either loved it or hated it. The most important thing in this whole naming your child is that you like the name and your child will not get picked on or teased about it and if your child does treat them to stand up for themselves. It's YOUR child name YOUR child what you want screw what others think of it. If everyone lived there life by what everyone else said then it would be ever more drama and hatred in this world then there is. Personally I like your DD name but that is just me.

raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 4:50 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• i know how you feel! i named my second sabine. it means a group over in italy. but we named her after the countess dewinter from the thre musketeers. my dad kept calling her saban after that person who made those stupid kid shows until i yelled at him and told him they were spelled twodifferent ways. people just like to nit pick. next time that happens ask them their name and reply, oh thats nice. i know ten people with that name so it will be easy to remember. i did that and the woman stalked off.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 5:12 AM on Sep. 4, 2010