Why is American Society so hung up on nudity?

and women being topless, where men can be without issue?

yet in every other country on the globe, its non-issue as the body is seen as a beautiful creation.

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 6:52 AM on Sep. 4, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Looks like all the 'reasons" come down to sex or people just being shallow. Like seeing a naked fat person is gonna hurt anyone **eyeroll** Those who say you just choose not to be nude, fine. But it's not fair that you push what you consider inappropriate on others and insist that everyone wear what you consider a decent amount of clothing. I believe in clothing for protection. I think dressing without necessity or over dressing are beyond stupid though. If someone chooses to wear clothes, who cares? No one is trying to force anyone to go nude. But people ARE forcing others to not go nude and that's when it becomes unfair. It's also pretty bitchy to assume that people who don't like excessive clothing are exhibitionists. Again, NUDITY ISN'T ALWAYS ABOUT ATTRACTING SEXUAL ATTRACTION.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 2:43 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I have no desire to walk around with another person's "stuff" in my face. And, not all bodies are beautiful. You really don't want to see mine - trust me.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:00 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• But why? Clothing does serve a purpose. It does protect us from the elements. I don't want to walk into a restaurant and sit on a chair that some nude person has sat on before me. (I know that is extreme, but not outside a realm of possibility.) We don't like in the rain forest where clothes are something to just get wet. Even desert people wear clothing for protection. It isn't just the evil Judeo-Christians who made people put on clothes. Clothing keeps me from cold, heat, sun burn, insects, abrasions, and the like.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:24 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I've always found that the people who are pro-nudity are more often than not, the very people who SHOULD wear clothing!! LOL ;o)

Personally, I think the RIGHT clothing is sexier than no/minimal clothing
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:50 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• It has NOTHING to do with being puritanical that I dont want to see yours, his, and her stuff. It has EVERYTHING to do with I just dont see WHY that needs to be paraded around and yeah the sanitary part of it. By the by...I dont know if many of you realize how holier than tho you sound while you are trying to be so judgmental of others who dont believe what yo do...I believe they have a word for that....

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 9:30 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• The idea that topless women is some sort of tolerance test point is misleading. There are places where a nude breast isn't considered that big a deal, but there are other aspects of society that we don't think twice about and they DO have an issue with. It's not about one country being more or less open or tolerant, it's both societies being differently tolerant. If more of the US was below the 35th parallel instead of above it, nudity probably wouldn't be such a big deal because more people would have the habit of wearing less clothing for survival reasons.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:01 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Well according to all those who "know", rape isn't about sex, it's about power, control over the victim and humiliation of the victim. It'd be interesting to know how other countries deal with this type of offense, ie: punishments, etc VS how it's dealt with here. Other countries have different cultures, etc that work well for them, that doesn't mean those same things would work well here. It's interesting how often the "they do it in such n such a country" comes up in questions and comments..kinda reminds me of the kids saying "well so n so gets to do it".
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 11:26 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• LOL Jesse

Agree Lori..

purpleducky..im fine with being a sexual prude when it comes to strangers..The only one I need not be prude around is my husband..
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 9:31 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• OP, I know what you are saying. I spent 3 years living in Europe, and it is a lot different over there. Nudity is not a big deal. The body is a creation of God, not something to be ashamed of. I'm not saying it's never a sexual thing over there, but seriously if you look at their cultures and our culture, which one has a higher incidence of sexual crimes? Or crime in general? I know from living in Europe for a few years that their culture is completely different from ours. There is no way that anyone who has not lived there immersed in the culture is going to understand completely what you are talking about. It's not that OP wants to walk around naked in public, that's not what she said. The point is, why should it be such a big deal if a woman wants to take off her top and sun herself on the beach if she wants? Nudity should not be taught as being sexual, but that is all many Americans think about nudity.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 10:53 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• THIS is why!!!

LOL...I couldn't resist!! :o)

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:31 AM on Sep. 4, 2010