If we're created in God's image why is nudity so awful?

Should modesty and covering up His creation, His image be considered insulting to the Creator God?

If our child makes a masterpiece and we cover it up, isn't that an insult to our child? (example)

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 6:54 AM on Sep. 4, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• We wear clothes since we don't have fur.
    That's why clothes were created, so that people wouldn't freeze.
    Turns out back in the day when clothes were new, think Cleopatra, clothes,dies, and jewels were used as means to decorate our bodies, not hide.

Even some places that wear very little clothing still use some form of underwear or cover for the genital region. To hide erections, menstruation, etc.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 8:24 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• North America is very prudish about sex and nudity.  They are far more open about it in Europe and ironically have far less sexual crimes, deviant behaviour and teen pregnancy.

When you make something taboo you are setting it up to be abused.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:34 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• It is when Adam and Eve ate that apple that the evil took over and made nudity into such a "bad" thing. Goodness, in a cold climate, I am not nude, I am clothed for warmth...but in a hot climate, nudity sure does work!
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 7:09 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• "."...That fall is also the reason that childbirth is so painful... so blame Eve! "

This is yet another wonderful example of why I would never, ever bow down to such a god. He places pain upon his girl children as a punishment?! That is a vengeful, spiteful, angry, human-like god. That makes no sense to me. That is no god.

Anyway, because of how we have evolved, we lost the need for hair covering our bodies, and adapted by making clothes for ourselves. It's religion that has made it "taboo" to have any sexuality seeping through. ANd with "taboo" comes curiousity, and with curiosity comes sneeking around. And with that comes lying, and trying to deny what we are as humans-sexual beings who now can't gaze upon a naked body without snickering like school children. It's been a forced immaturity in regards to nakediness and sexuality.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:53 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I am glad we cover up, think of all the sick weirdos out there....Thats Number One on why you should cover up in in public.

If it is that big of a deal go to a nudist spa, or let your children run nakey at home, I know my son loves just being in a diaper.

Ha, I'm just thinking of all of the reasons of why I don't want to see other peoples naked bodies. The Genitalia is not pretty on everybody.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 7:10 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Because the world is so awful and people combine nudity with sex.
    mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 7:08 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Apparently, being naked is somehow connected with the fall of Adam and Eve. God used shame of nakedness as a punishment is seems.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:11 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• for some reason that was adam and eve's first instinct after they disobeyed God- they realized they were naked and covered themselves because they were ashamed.
    we were originally designed to be "naked and unashamed" but sin has twisted everything up
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 10:48 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Nudity isn't awful, and bodies are beautiful. Modesty is a matter of a sense of privacy in my opinion. It is also a cultural issue more than a moral issue.....but does clothing insult God? Well, there is a story in the bible that says when Adam and Eve felt ashamed, God created coverings from fig leaves for them because of his compassion for them....so, if that's the case, why would he be insulted? Also, modesty seems to be a very personal thing...my daughters ran around naked as babies and felt freedom, my son would cry without his clothing because he felt vulnerable....to each his own...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 2:30 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• who says nudity is awfull, its the way you look at it and make a conversation in your mind depending on the type of feedback u give to your mind over the years, like mums do not feel awful when they change nappies or give bath to their sons or daughters,
    kunjoorks

Answer by kunjoorks at 7:04 AM on Sep. 4, 2010