Hair Loss from Cradle Cap is it normal? Will it grow back normal?

My sibling; whom lives long distance, also has a son that had cradle cap real bad. Sibling told me the doctor gave my sib special cream for his head to make sure the hair would grow back.....is there really a cream? Or if doctor didn't give my sibling that cream would baby really had gone bald????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:33 AM on Sep. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• some babies just lose their hair after birth and it grows back. i read that hair loss occurs after a stressful birth. my midwives have not found that to be true though. out of my 5 kids, only my preemie hospital born lost his hair.
    as far as cradle cap goes, only my girls had it.
    i doubt the cream had anything to do with hair regeneration...at least i hope it didn't.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 7:51 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• thats cool I got an answer from someone right away thank you this site seems nice and i am happy to find it!!!
    sebastian_mama

Answer by sebastian_mama at 7:59 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• My son got craddle cap and I asked my nurse how to get rid of it. Answer: rub some baby oil on baby's dry head. Scrub scalp gently with a baby brush then wash his hair while scrubbing gently with finger tips. So great, sounded easy. My son's hair did fall out. I totally freaked out as no one warned me and I though I did something wrong. They said it was completely normal. He lost the hair on the sides of his head. so he eventually had the "old man" look. He is almost 2 and has a full head of hair.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 9:15 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• my son lost his newborn hair. he also got cradle cap. i was told to rub baby oil on his head and gently brush his hair with a baby brush. his hair will grow back. a lot of newborns lose their hair after birth.
    xavierlogan09

Answer by xavierlogan09 at 9:39 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Most babies hair does fall out, and grows right back in. Dont worry!!! Try this for craddle cap. Cover the babys head in oilve oil, let it sit for 20 min or so (lay baby down on a sm towel) give baby a bath hair last so they dont get to cold. genetly scrub the babys head with shampoo. This worked wonders for my baby. ( you could even use head and sholders just be VERY carefull not to get in eyes!!) your babys head will be soooo soft!!! GL!
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 9:43 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Hair loss is quite normal in newborns. For cradle cap I sued a little bit of coconut oil to soften (you can use olive oil) and a very soft brush in gentle circular motions on the head to lift it up a little bit every day until it was all gone, I didn't wash off the oil (I only use a very little bit) but did follow up with some soothing pure aloe. I never used shampoo -- too man chemicals in my opinion. But a little pure oatmeal soap to clear away the oil and wiped off with a damp towel if you want is a better option.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:24 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• my dd had it and it grew back fine... and that's saying something since she's like her mom and her hair grows SLOW!! ( I was bald until I was two and did not have cradle cap, between 3 and 4 it grew over a foot.. go figure).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:56 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• My son was born with a full head of hair, got cradle cap and lost every last bit if it, and now hes three and has yet again a full head of nice wavy brown hair. It SHOULD grow back.
    Rosesandlilys

Answer by Rosesandlilys at 9:05 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Dandruff shampoo like "head and shoulders" or " selsum blue". Leave it on for 4 to 5 minutes and rinse and rub for five minutes. Doit
    this 2 or 3 times a week and the cradle cap will go away. If you notice when the child will have dandruff as a teenager.
    W5supermom

Answer by W5supermom at 11:07 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• If cradle cap caused baldness and not treating with a Rx cream caused hair not to grow back there would be a LOT of bald kids running around!

Seriously though, cradle cap is not biggie. The pp all said what I would recommend. I did the olive oil thing with my son and now with my daughter I'm just scrubbing a little more with this cool little scalp shampooing brush that was given to me a the hospital.
    LuckyPlusOne

Answer by LuckyPlusOne at 12:52 AM on Sep. 6, 2010