I give my 1 yr old a bottle before bed and she still take a bottle in the middle of the night ? what do i do

Becca4171

Asked by Becca4171 at 8:10 AM on Sep. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• she's a growing girl, its normal
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:11 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Try feeding her something heavier for dinner. My son's 3 and he still wakes up in the middle of the night, but we live in a dry appartment, and he wakes up thirsty,. usually a drink of water puts him right back to bed. Good luck!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 8:17 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• At one year of age, there is no nutritional need for your child to have a bottle in the middle of the night. In fact, you might be setting her up for issues later.
    You are rewarding her for waking up in the middle of the night by giving her a bottle. The longer you continue this practice, the longer she will continue to wake up in the middle of the night.
    Do you allow her to try to comfort herself back to sleep or do you go right to her with the bottle? Or, if you feel you must go to her, offer her a bottle with water in stead of the milk or formula you might offer her.
    If I hear my little man in the middle of the night, I give him a few minutes to see if he will settle down before I go check on him. 9 times out of 10, he settles on his own.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:50 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• keep giving her less and less at night. thats what i did with my daughter and it worked great.
    SunShineMoMM

Answer by SunShineMoMM at 8:55 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• My son took a bottle in the middle of the night until about 15 months when I switched it with a sippy cup. He was NOT happy when I switch him to the sippy cup in the middle of the night. But even now at 23 months he will wake up in the middle of the night for a snack if he's going through a growth spurt.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 9:08 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• i am trying to switch her night bottle to a sippy at dinner so she gets use to it rather then at bedtime. but my dd doesn't get up in the middle of the night. if she does its not to eat. i just bring her to my bed but that is just because she is having a nightmare. but anyways, i would try to not come in with the bottle just yourself. soemtimes its not hunger but just being a little scared and the water thing would be good too. good luck
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 9:19 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• she shouldnt need to eat in the middle of the night... I send my kiddos to bed with sippy cups of water cause they get thirsty... but we also got rid of the bottle the day they turned 1... That would drive me nuts having to get up n the middle of the night to give them a bottle/snack and then re-brush their teeth... .
    mamachef694

Answer by mamachef694 at 4:06 PM on Sep. 4, 2010