Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How easy is it for a man to get shared custody in a divorce?

My husband says if I file for divorce, he will just get shared custody and not have to pay much child support if any so I won't be able to make it with out him and I won't see my kids half the time. I have two boys ages 14 and 10. He is now trying to brainwash them into wanting to live with him. Anyone been through this? I live in Ohio.....


Asked by Anonymous at 11:06 PM on Oct. 12, 2008 in Relationships

This question is closed.
Answers (8)

    that link may help you out abit. you just click on the blue titles that you are interested in and it links you to the page. that may jump start your research

    Answer by chevygirl2007l at 11:12 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

  • hate to say it, but unless you have some sort of proof that the boys shouldn't be in his custody at all (such as drugs or abuse) The boys will probably go to him. They are in or near puberty and most courts see that as a time that boys need their fathers.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

  • as far as i know it is easy for them to give joint custody. you would have to prove that he is a very horrible father. most of the time its usually set up so they see the kids only on the weekends. i dont think that really effects how much child support he pays. he has to pay a certain percentage per child. have you tried to google ohio custody laws. do some research on this that you know what you are getting into. it sounds like he doesnt want a divorce and he is trying to scare you into staying with him

    Answer by chevygirl2007l at 11:10 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

  • he can get shared custody but he still has to pay to care for them while in your care. He may be able to get them as a tax credit though. Try and link to Know the Law then go to your state or call legal aid and ask them the specifics. He still has to pay spousal support

    Answer by admckenzie at 11:10 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

  • my ex husband and I have joint custody of our 4 year old. He on;ly got joint because I was young, dumb and scared and bullied into aggreeing to it. Point is, he still has to pay me support, just as much as he would if I had full custody. I live in PA so it may be different. Talk to a lawyer tho, and I would advise NOT going through legal aide. I know it's expensive but a lawyer is more likely to fight hard for you if you are paying him, I learned this halfway through my divorce which lasted two years!! Best of luck hun!

    Answer by aegmo3 at 11:21 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

  • my ex tried getting my boys and his attorney told him up front it most likely not happen. i believe this and you would just as much right to see them as he would if there is shared custody. they can ask the boys who they would rather live with if they are old enough but i doubt they would choose him. i know my boys would feel bad for me and pick me. the laws are different per state. so there is no real answer here. i don't your hubby knows more then you and he is trying to scare you. look i raised 2 boys for over 12 yrs on my own with no child support. you can make it, don't let him scare you. if you stay i would make it so miserable for him so that he grants you the divorce and all that you ask for.

    Answer by melody77 at 11:25 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

  • Shared custody is usually what's best for children. As for support, I don't know about that. It might depend on your income and how much you'll have your kids.

    Answer by ...Ruth... at 11:26 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

  • Everyone I know that is divorced have joint custody

    Answer by abellvalerie at 11:54 PM on Oct. 12, 2008