How do I get me almost 4 year old twins to listen to me?

I am a single mother of twin girls who will be 4 in Jan. They do EVERYTHING they can to get into trouble and make me upset. I have no idea what to do anymore. I feel like I am going crazy and all I want to do is walk away and cry. HELP !!!!!!

mommyoftwins114

Asked by mommyoftwins114 at 11:09 PM on Oct. 12, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You cant walk away mom.....you gotta hang in there......

The most important thing with kids is CONSTANCY....they have to know what you expect from them and what to expect if they dont do it....

I would sit down with both girls and set house rules and make sure they know them.....then tell them if they break a rule or dont follow your direction it is punishment....(whatever you choose)

For me and my 5 year old son it is a spanking and time out.....it works for him....but he understands that I am serious...

Since you are a single mom, you are the disciplinarian.....just make sure you mean what you say and you say what you mean....kids can read parents like a book and they are testing you to see what they can and can not do.... Good Luck!

mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 11:13 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• One trick I learned when my kids were small was to whisper to them. Most of us lose our cool and raise our voices when we need our children's attention. Purposely swapping to a whisper throws them off and they stop and have to actually listen to hear what you're saying.

I agree with the PP about consistentancy - say what you mean, mean what you say, and always do things the same way. We had better luck rewarding good behavior than punishing bad.
    Good Luck! GG
    greenergypsy

Answer by greenergypsy at 12:11 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• They will listen if you stop repeating yourself. Sometimes we say the same things over and over before they will respond. Instead say it once, if they don't listen, go do it with them, or give them a consequence. "Go brush your teeth." They don't do it... get up, go to them without saying another word or getting angry, but don't be nice either, just be very neutral and matter of fact, grab a hand and bring them to the bathroom, completely ignoring any protests, put the toothpaste on the toothbrush and start brushing. It will take some stamina on your part, but after awhile they will understand that you mean what you say the first time. Man, twins can really gang up on you, you just have to be smarter, sharper, quicker and stronger. They won't like it and will fight you, but you will ignore it and get the job done until they learn to follow your instructions.
    juicepluskids

Answer by juicepluskids at 7:56 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Try this.... when you want them to listen to you.... get down so you are eye level with them, and have them hold your face (put a hand on each cheek).... that almost always forces them to make direct eye contact with you, and they hear everything you say. Then even have them repeat what you said so it "sinks in" :) But don't give up!!! HOpe you find out what works for you!
    theHALEgirls

Answer by theHALEgirls at 8:46 PM on Oct. 15, 2008