tacky... so why do parents allow it??

I have to say it looks SO tacky when you see a car with stickers all over the inside of one of the back windows. As if the parents just gave the kid a box of stickers and said have at it. WHY? Cars are rather expensive to junk up. Why do parents allow this type of behavior? Do they also allow the children to color on the walls at home?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on Sep. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• LOL well I guess I'm just a tacky mom. My daughter had stickers all over the window by her. Some of us just don't really care. It's a sticker, it's a window. They come off with a little elbow grease. As far as walls, yes my daughter did that too. But she was never allowed and was punished for doing so
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:30 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• They probably think "it's not hurting anything" and not bothering to notice that it doesn't teach good or appropriate behavior - in fact, it's just taking the lazy way out. Instead of teaching "how to behave in the car", just let them do whatever they want. (Likely the same parents who are upset when those same children go to school and are in trouble with the teacher because they won't follow directions, sit quietly, or do their work)
    caseyandkids

Answer by caseyandkids at 9:31 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• It's also a visibility hazard. Not very bright to allow tons of stickers. One or two in the lower corners don't obstruct the view much.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 9:31 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Idk. I let John have a mirror to put stickers on. He loves it. Its totally covered, its taken him five years to do it. =) But it keeps him from putting them all over everything.

As for cars, I refuse to own a car with stickers (unless its a sea turtle family, small in the pack window )
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 9:31 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• i haven't seen that too much but i undrstand what you are saying. some parents rather not have conflict and they don;t want to hear crying and or anything and rather just have the kid do whatver they want. but on their defense i also have parents that let my dd do everything so it might of been a grandparent. even if the stickers go on the car there are ways to take them off if the parent really wanted to and there are clingons too.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 9:31 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Wow, love the judgements..........so entertaining :)
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:32 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Woah, ladies. I think you're going overboard with this criticism here. Kids are kids, let them be. They only have a short time to enjoy life, and not hunker down to school, a job, a house, etc. A few stickers don't hurt as long as it doesn't obstruct the view of the driver. And let she who is the perfect parent cast the first stone...I shouldn't see any flying around because no one is perfect.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 9:35 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Bisket..............I love you!
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:41 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Well, yes, it is tacky. And yes, it also can be a visibility hazard. But YES, it sure is lazy parenting. Not only are they not bothering to teach the child anything about behaving appropriately according to the situation, they are also teaching that it's ok to do as you please with other people's property ... and, even as one mom who allowed it shared, her child thought it was ok to write on the walls.

Wonder what they'll think when their child is in trouble for putting stickers all over textbooks ... or scratching words into school desks ... or putting graffiti on school walls. Parents like to complain when their kids don't behave ... but usually the ones complaining are the ones not bothering to teach.
    missingruth

Answer by missingruth at 9:42 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• OMG this is soo funny
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:43 AM on Sep. 4, 2010