due date confusion?

Ok, so...going by my last period, which was normal, and on schedule, I'm 7wks and 2 or 3 days along. I'm confused because I went to the hospital yesterday (the doctor called me in because I was spotting and they wanted to see if everything was ok) and according to the two ultrasounds they did, I'm only 5wks 5 days pregnant. How does that work? I've known I was pregnant for almost two weeks. The pregnancy test was faint, but a definite positive. So I'm confused. If they calculate it by the LMP, I should be 7wks+. Right?

BisketLiss

Asked by BisketLiss at 9:27 AM on Sep. 4, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I really don't know, but maybe you ovulated later than you thought? I was told though with my last one that all babies grow at the same rate during the first 12 weeks of pregnancy, so how they measure is how far along they are. Were they seem worried that you thought that you were further along and were measuring behind? Other than the weeks being off did everything look fine. If so, then I wouldn't worry about it.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 9:40 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Well, just because your period ended then, the egg and sperm may not have traveled and implanted on the exact day.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:42 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• The only thing the radiologist said to me was she could see the heart beating, and that I was measuring at 5wks 4 days. I mentioned that I thought I was further along, but she didn't comment. I was supposed to hear back from the dr's office, but they're closed for the weekend now, and I have an appointment on Tuesday, hoping it's all good news. We'll see.
    BisketLiss

Comment by BisketLiss (original poster) at 9:51 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I always go by my LMP but you could be later because you could have conceived later in the month. No one can really tell you when you conceived at all. Plus all baby's have different growth rates in the womb like they do on the outside.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 9:52 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• maybe she was off but I know that's a lot to be off by if they saw the heartbeat that's good I guess as long as the baby is healthy and keep growing its okay to have the mystery of why your dates are off...good luck
    Kre10

Answer by Kre10 at 10:25 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I say dont stress over it too much... I didnt know I was pregnant until almost 4mo along. So I never really trusted what the dr.s said 100% since we where clueless about everything (i never tracked periods cause i was irregular).. Babies may all grow at the same rate the first 12wks, but that leaves 28 more weeks of growth at their own speed...
    Think of having a baby as not being cooked in a microwave (it will be done in exactly 40 weeks)
    But having being cooked in the oven & is only done when it "reaches a certain internal temperature" which could be anywhere from 38-42 weeks!!
    hehe ;-)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:38 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• But baby's heart shouldn't start beating until you're six weeks...according to everything I've read...so if I'm only 5wks 5days?....so confused. I guess it doesn't matter, as long as (she) is developing..
    BisketLiss

Comment by BisketLiss (original poster) at 10:40 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I had the same problem I was orginally due Jan. 17th but when I went to the hospital because of implantation bleeding I found out I was 5.5days. My due date changed to the 26th. They said I could of ovulated late. At 5.5 weeks it was just a gestational sac. I seen a heart beat at 7wks but didn't hear it unitl my 10wk.
    ladyambition

Answer by ladyambition at 4:52 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• It's only an estimate and can be off by two weeks either way. Your doctor will update you on everything at the next appointment. The U/S techs can be fired for saying too much and some things they aren't even allowed to say.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:30 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I think ultrasounds that early on are really thorough because they're looking for any problems and should be an accurate prediction of your due date - especially if both of them revealed the same thing. The Dr should be measuring your uterus at almost every visit and see how you're tracking, plus they will remeasure you at the ultrasound about halfway through so there will be opportunities to confirm. Only 10% of babies are born on their due dates anyway so I'd at least be ready by the earliest date just to be safe. As for the pregnancy test, when we were trying to get pregnant I took one that was negative only to get a faint line three days later - 11 days after the date of conception. Depending on the test, it's possible that you weren't that far along when you got the positive reading (I just used a cheap store brand labeled for early detection). Hope this helps.
    Autumn317

Answer by Autumn317 at 11:39 PM on Sep. 4, 2010