is it normal to take ten hours to dilate one centimeter during labor?

my sister's water broke last night. she was 2 centimeters dilated when she went to the hospital. it's been ten hours and she's only dilated one centimeter since. is this normal? my step mom also said that she can't get pitocin to help progress labor since it's too late is this true?

xavierlogan09

Asked by xavierlogan09 at 9:35 AM on Sep. 4, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I don't know why she couldn't get pitocin, but I was induced (cervix was completely closed at start of induction, and 23 hours later was only at 3), so yes, your sister's progression in not altogether uncommon. Good luck.
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 10:08 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• It can take days to dilate and labor. However, he water broke...so, she will be expected to have the baby within 24 hours to lessen infection chance. I also imagine the hospital is making her lay in bed since it broke...that leads to longer labors. They can and probaly will give her pitocin to help.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:38 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• No they can give her pitocin. I was given pitocin several hours after my water broke and the next morning I still had not started into labor so they doubled the pitocin. Pray that does not happen to her because when my labor started it was hell.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 9:41 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Yes it can be for some people. With both mine I would stop at 6cm for 6 hours. Then all the sudden it would kick in and go fast.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 9:50 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• With my last I was at 2 centimeters for about 17 hours then I went the last 8 centimeters and had her within 2 hours. Every body is different and it's normal.
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 10:09 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• is this her 1st baby? The 1st one ( sometime ) take a long time to come out.
    sguy1983

Answer by sguy1983 at 10:14 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• ya it's her first child. i think she is allowed to get pitocin. my step mom said she can't not the doctors.
    xavierlogan09

Comment by xavierlogan09 (original poster) at 10:24 AM on Sep. 4, 2010