Do you buy new halloween costumes or second hand for your child?

I know most kids prefer to pick out their own costumes or the costume that is "in" for that year, however, have you considered purchasing costumes that were only worn once or not new to save a dollar. In the past, I've been able to use a specific costume from one child to another on various character costumes.

CafeMochaMom1

Asked by CafeMochaMom1 at 9:37 AM on Sep. 4, 2010 in Food & Drink

• We either "Make" our own or buy 2nd hand. It's just pointless to spend that kind of money on something they will only wear once.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 9:41 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• For my son, I've made all of his costumes, tho grammy bought him some accessories to last year's costume. His first year, he was only a month old, so he was a pumpkin. I took an old orange sweater and sewed it into a sack, made sleeves, and a little green hat out of a towel, then sewed on a jackolantern face with some black scraps I had from a previous project. His second year, he went as Stewie Griffon to one party (red overall pants, and a yellow tee we already had) and as a bat to another, a black sweater with triangles of black fabric sewn between the torso and sleeves, and a hood added (more scraps, I think). Last year, he was a cop, and I took some black dress pants, sewed blue and yellow lines up the side so his pants would match his daddy's(daddy's a cop) , and grammy bought a police coat, hat and cuffs. We already had a toy gun for him to use. He was a handsome little cop. This year, I havent' decided what I'll make.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 9:44 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I always buy them new ones every year.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 9:44 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• If we're out and find one she likes we'll get it used. I have no problem with second hand stuff, it's what is mostly in her dressers. But if we don't see one she likes, we'll pay about $20 for a new one. I don't mind paying the $20 since it's not a one time wearing with her. She will wear it several times a week, playing dress up, playing pretend trick or treat well after Halloween. She'll keep playing in the costume until she grows out of it. :-)
    This year, she's wanting to be a ballerina. So we're going to look into a ballet leotard and tutu thing and some flats. Should be less than the costume, but if she changes her mind before I buy anything then we'll just get another.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 9:45 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• No we buy them new, but I have never spent more than $9

By the way, what does this have to do with food & drinks? lol

Nsbgirl

Answer by Nsbgirl at 9:45 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• i make up my own costumes . by what every i have around the house
    cloudgazer

Answer by cloudgazer at 9:46 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I make our costumes. I have bought a few times. But always look for a good deal.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 9:48 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I've either made them or bought them new. I have nothing against 2nd hand, but I'm particular about what they go as, so it limits that....This year they'll be wearing the same thing they did last year. Lucky for us, they still fit great because I bought them big.
    FAskew

Answer by FAskew at 9:55 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I don't mind second hand at all. Sometimes we make their costumes, sometimes we buy them from the thrift store, and occasionally we buy new. My boys are almost too old for dressing up (13 and 11) but last year my 11 year old wanted to be a psychotic doctor so we went to local thrift stores, found a white lab coat and fake syringe and we splattered the lab coat with red kool-aid to look like blood. It cost about $10 total for the costume along with a few other little accessories. DD was a witch. We bought the witch's hat (black with purple sparkly ribbon and plastic spider hanging off the top) for $3 new, and then we got a black witch's gown at the thrift store for $5 which she wore with black tights and black dress shoes. The year before that, she was a unicorn rider. We bought the stuffed unicorn costume new for $12 and she dressed in jeans, button up shirt and pink cowgirl boots. Can't wait for this year!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 10:10 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Thank you Nsbgirl for pointing out my error. For some strange reason I started out putting all my questions udner that topic.
    CafeMochaMom1

Comment by CafeMochaMom1 (original poster) at 11:15 AM on Sep. 4, 2010