What is the best dog food for dogs?

I have an american bulldog. Currently we are using Iams dog food however she seems now not interested in this dog food at all. In the past we used NutroMax, wich worked well for 5 years and then literally made our dog sickly. I even tried Blue which seemed to help her gain her weight back and she did wonderfully however she never seemed filled off the Blue dog food. I am at my wits end when I do research on the dog brands the outcomes sometimes are horrific. Isn't there a trustworthy brand that is healthy for dogs? If so, please advise.... Thank you.

Kellyjude1

Asked by Kellyjude1 at 9:40 AM on Sep. 4, 2010 in Pets

• I have always used Alpo. However, there are others that are equally good like Pedigree.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 9:41 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I use Alpo Prime Cuts. It is dry or you can add water for a gravy. My 11 yr old shepards have done well on it.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 9:43 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Anything natural or organic.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:52 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• From what i've been told, a quality dog food does not have any corn, or cornmeal in it. Meat should be the very first ingrediant. If your pup is having digestion issues, then it's time to go to the vet. Sometimes dogs might need a perscription diet for a while. Best of luck
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:56 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Ask your vet. He or she should be able to give you a good idea of the nutritional requirements of your dog, based on breed and size.
    LokisMama

Answer by LokisMama at 10:16 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Taste of the Wild is a grain free dog food usually sold in exclusive pet stores.  I have a very finikey border collie and we have tried Ijams, Blue, Nutro Max, and now we are on Wild. I understand exactly what you're going through.  I hope this helps.  Good Luck.

http://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/products/dogs/high_prairie_canine_formula/.

mpeada

Answer by mpeada at 10:48 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Alpo, Pedigree, Purina, Ol Roy, or anything like that is garbage food. Feeding it to your dog borders on cruelty. Its full of fillers like corn, and the left overs from what is left after rendering down. Beaks, ears, toes, legs, nails or whatever.

Go to www.dogfoodanalysis.com and check out the foods there.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 12:12 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I was going to suggest www.dogfoodanalysis.com too.. but I see someone already did.

I personally feed our dog a raw prey diet. It's what they were meant to eat. Dogs are carnivores, not herbivores or omnivores. They need MEAT not corn and wheat and other fillers.
    HeatherReneeB

Answer by HeatherReneeB at 4:54 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• In most cases, you shouldn't ask a vet about nutrition! They take a VERY short course on nutrition in vet school and it is almost always taught by one of the lower quality manufacturers like Hill's, Purina, or Royal Canin. They also get free food from those companies while they're in school so of course they're going to sell/recommend that crap! I also agree that you should check out dogfoodanalysis.com. I have fed my dogs Blue Buffalo, Taste of the Wild, and Canidae which are all excellent brands. A few others are Orijen/Acana, Wellness, Artemis, Nature's Variety Instinct or Prairie, Fromm, and Nature's Logic. On that site, I personally wouldn't feed anything that gets less than 4 stars. Also, Natura was a highly recommended food UNTIL they sold out to Proctor & Gamble (the makers of Iams/Eukanuba), but P&G does animal testing so I would stay far away from anything they make whether it be for humans or animals!
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 12:58 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Thanks for all your responses. I had her on Blue which she did wonderfully on, however after some time she seemed so hungry so I switched to Iams. Now it seems she is going back to not eating the dog food, which is a sign to me this is not right. I think I will try the Blue or some of the other recommended brand. It is so awful how some of the dog food brands are literally making my dog sick. I did have her to the vet before due to her losing weight and it was actually my breeder who warned me of dog food brands. I will look into the dogfoodanalysis.com. Thanks everyone!!
    Kellyjude1

Comment by Kellyjude1 (original poster) at 1:25 PM on Sep. 8, 2010