do you believe repeat csections are safer than vbac?

Why or why not?

Does your OPINION change after 2 or 3 or 4 or even more csections?

ToriBabe1221

Asked by ToriBabe1221 at 9:58 AM on Sep. 4, 2010 in Pregnancy

• My daughter just had a vbac after having had an unnecessary c-section a little over two years ago. She delivered her baby an hour and 45 minutes after she arrived at hospital with no meds and no problems. I do not believe it would have been safer for her to have had another c-section. I do think the risk probably increases with each additional section, but I have known women to have vbacs after having had 3 sections. The differences in the alertness of the babies is remarkable and Mom is recovering at a much, much quicker pace.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:02 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I think deciding to have a vbac is on case by case only for me my life along w my baby would be in danger attempting a vbac
    Kre10

Answer by Kre10 at 10:07 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I think it depends on the situation,I couldnt safley have a vbac and had 3 sections. I would have preffered the Vbac.
    mamallamaof2

Answer by mamallamaof2 at 10:18 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I had a c-section with my son, and pregnant again, I desperately want to have a vbac. After my son was born (a month early due to preeclampsia.) I felt like the separation was huge. I felt like I'd been jilted the opportunity to give birth, and I really missed the experience. The six days in the hospital while they waited for my blood pressure to go down didn't make the matter any easier. Obviously, if there is a risk to the baby when the time comes, I will consent to another c-section, but I would much rather make the attempt at a natural birth first.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 10:19 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I believe that whatever is the safest option for the baby and mother is the correct choice. I put my trust into my OB when she said, "once a c-section, always a c-section". I think though, that it was for my particular situation (advanced maternal age). My SIL had a VBAC and everything was fine.
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 10:19 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• case by case really... but to try for vaginal if possible is always great..
    I think after 1 csection its great to try for a vbac.. 2+ i dont know, never have read about it really..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:32 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I think it depends on the reason for the original c-section and the amount of information the current OB has about the previous c-section.

Answer by missanc at 11:14 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I think it truly depends on the individual, how the incision was made for the original c-section, what the reasoning behind the original c-section was, etc. I don't think this is one of those things that everyone can be lumped together.
    However, I will say we are currently TTC, and have already had this discussion with my doctors. When we do conceive, we will be expecting a C-section delivery from the get go. The reasoning behind that is I am a very high risk pregnancy, have uterine abnomolies, and am not willing to take the extra risks associated with the VBAC. It will be a miracle in itself if I can get pregnant again and carry to term, so I am not willing to take the chance once we get that far!
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 12:01 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• It really depends on the situation and the woman. If it was an emergency C-section, repeats may be necessary unless you have a very qualified midwife or OB (Ina May Gaskin and the other midwives at the Farm in TN have performed a number of VBACs, if I remember correctly). If it was a scheduled C-section, she could be a good candidate for a VBAC (if I understood everything I read about VBACs and C-sections a couple of years ago). But ultimately, it really comes down to the woman, her body, the health of the baby through the pregnancy, labor, etc. Plus, I'm pretty sure that VBACs are illegal in some states. I think that it's something that is worth looking into and finding out for sure before a repeat C-section (because that's major surgery, which isn't good for your body).
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 12:46 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• In general VBACs are going to be safer. THere is a time and a place for c-sections though.

Even if you have had multiple c-sections, usually the Vaginal Birth is still the safest way to go.

Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 1:39 PM on Sep. 4, 2010