Have you ever considered getting your pet from a shelter?

My dog was a stray. However, she acts like she went to obedient school or something becasue she didn't act like a typical stray dog would except for being extremely hungry when she arrived at our doorstep. I think sheltered dogs probably could use more love since they are from homes that didn't appreciate them in the first place or the people just couldn't take care of them anymore.

CafeMochaMom1

Asked by CafeMochaMom1 at 10:09 AM on Sep. 4, 2010 in Pets

• I only get my dogs from the shelter or from someone that is needing a new home for their pets.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 10:11 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• My old gal Brenna, was a pound puppy! She had been at the shelter for 3 weeks, she was on her last days. She has been the best girl ever
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:11 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• We did got a cat from our shelter. All she did was pee all over the place. So she had to go back. I felt so bad but I could not have her doing that. So I will not do that again.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 10:12 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Yes, we got our dog from the local shelter. Perfect fit! Raeann11, next time, have the animal checked for a Urinary Tract infection. It's one of the the most common causes of urinating outside a litter box.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 10:14 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Our current dog and the last one we had, plus one of our cats all came from the shelter. The other cats (one deceased) were strays, but like yours, he'd (the one we still have) obviously belonged to someone because he was declawed and he had a preference for moist cat food (which he only gets as a treat) and was very laid back and calm (unlike the cat we adopted from the shelter who could use a dose of prozac now and then probably, LOL).
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 10:14 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• My dog is from the shelter. When you rescue a dog it keeps your dollars away from puppy mills and gives your dog and tge dog taking it's at the shelter place a second chance!
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 10:14 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I always get my pets from shelters. There are too many animals in shelters, basically just waiting to be euthanized, for me to buy a pure bred dog from a breeder, even a legitimate one.

All of my pets growing up, except for one cat who was a gift from a teacher that my mom worked with, have been pound animals, or rescues of some form or another (wild animals included).
    LokisMama

Answer by LokisMama at 10:15 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Sorry, my last post is garbled!
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 10:16 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• All our pets have come from shelters. We've never had any problems. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:53 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• All of our pets have come from a shelter and they have all been awesome, not a problem with any of them. I would never "pay" for a pet.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 11:53 AM on Sep. 4, 2010