Have you ever "swallowed your pride" to teach/give your child something?

Example: 5 month standoff with DDs grandparents before she was born, but went to make amends before her birth, even though I knew I didn't do anything wrong.

DMac08

Asked by DMac08 at 10:17 AM on Sep. 4, 2010 in Relationships

• If I screw up I apologize, to my dh, or to my little boys, just to show them that's what you do, even when I feel prideful and don't want to. It's important to see that as an example. My parents never said they were sorry for anything, they acted like because they were the authority figures even when they screwed up they were entitled or something, so that teaches pridefulness, and let's face it, sometimes it's really hard to admit we're wrong and to say we're sorry, but when you're raised that way it's even harder, so hopefully my kids won't be afraid to admit their errors and make things right when they're men.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 10:22 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Yes, in the ten years I have been a mother, I have done many things not because i wanted to, but because it was what was best for my son. My bio dad had been in and out of my life for years, when I had my son, I completely stopped seeing him. I told him that the way he was never consistent had been a constant hurt in my life, but my child did not have to know that hurt, and I would not let him do that to him.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 12:12 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I've let my mother see each of her grandchildren at birth. That was a lot.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:27 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• DH's family banned me from their home for no reason
    I haven't seen them since (and don't care to) but I still let his mom take her to see the family.
    I feel like just because i have problems with them, and them with me, doesn't mean she needs to be affected, she is completely innocent and they are her family.
    gottalovemal

Answer by gottalovemal at 11:17 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• The standoff was between you and her.It didn't have anything to do with your child.You did the grown up thing.It wouldn't be fair to take it out on your child.
    bvannkissy

Answer by bvannkissy at 2:25 PM on Sep. 4, 2010