Can a 2 year old be a bully?

alexsmommy1212

Asked by alexsmommy1212 at 11:42 PM on Oct. 12, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• there;s a difference between being a bully and playing rough... tell me a little more. i have a 2 year old that is soooo rough....
    VictinaG

Answer by VictinaG at 11:43 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• I have a 29 month old nephew and a 22 moth old son, and EVERYTIME they are together my nephew is hitting, biting, choking, kicking, tackling, yelling, slapping, punching ETC ETC my son. I get really upset because his parents claim that this is normal, but my son does not act that way. I usually just get up and leave after these incidents occur; it is not my place to discipline him and I'd rather just remove us from the situation. But my whole family thinks I am over reacting and that my nephew is too young to know better, but I don't know, he gets this look like "I am about to hurt you and I am going to enjoy it", does that make sense? Maybe I am over emotional regarding this?!?
    alexsmommy1212

Answer by alexsmommy1212 at 11:49 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• nooo you certainly have a right to be upset... i think his parents need to step in a more! they show really keep an eye on it... sounds like right now he doesn't have a lot of boundaries and he is testing them! is he in daycare?
    VictinaG

Answer by VictinaG at 11:57 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• My daughter is 21 months and my son is 34 months. She is soo rough with him, I think its her way of letting him know that he can't mess with her. When she was 6 months he was the rough one.
    MCD3

Answer by MCD3 at 12:00 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• He is not in daycare, he stays with family memebers thru out the week...it is a mess. I don't like feeling this way. I feel this is hopeless! I don't know what to do!!
    alexsmommy1212

Answer by alexsmommy1212 at 12:07 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• I don't think you are over reacting at all. Also, about them saying that he doesn't know what he's doing is very wrong. Children know what they are doing, especially at the age of 2. My opinion would be to tell the parents that you can't deal with the situation anymore and that if they do not step in and handle it then you can't be responsible for what your son does. My cousin's son was mean to my son for about a week and his mother did nothing to stop it. He was 3 1/2 and my son was about to be 1. One day my son fought back and hit him and he never bullied my son again. Of course I disciplined my son after that but not too bad cause I though he deserved it. Maybe I'm mean...LOL

Mom2Dano

Answer by Mom2Dano at 2:03 AM on Oct. 13, 2008