Are there any legit work-at-home opportunities out there?

I am a stay-at-home mom who is about to be forced back to work if I don't find something fast! I absolutely love being home with my son and would do anything to avoid having to leave him. I can't afford to invest in anything without knowing it's legit. The sad thing is, we are just barely not making it, so even a few hundred extra dollars a month would make it possible for me to continue staying home. I have looked at many work-at-home websites, but they all require some kind of start-up fee, which seems like a red flag to me. Any suggestions?

aidensmom11708

Asked by aidensmom11708 at 10:34 AM on Sep. 4, 2010 in Money & Work

• Take in a child or two in your home. That is what I do when we need money.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 10:38 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• https://my2scents.scentsy.us

There is a cost to start...but it's for everyhting you need to start selling. Totally worth the money. I too wasn't too sure about paying to start, but I have made great money with this company...and I haven't met anyone yet that didn't want to buy some!!!! I also offer sign up incentives!!!! The money to start is for catalogs, bunsiness cards, demonstration samples for everything, brochures, and more.
    NicoR

Answer by NicoR at 10:44 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Check out www.care.com and www.sittercity.com. Maybe you could find a mom looking for childcare. Some of the ads mention they would not mind the provider having her child with them. Search by zip code. There are also ads for pet care, housekeeping, house sitting, senior care. Good luck!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:47 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I have heard of chacha.com you recieve msg online of people who text questions there were a few girls on my old pg site that would use it, though im not sure how much money you can make i guess it just depends on the time you spend online.
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 10:58 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Businesses, direct sales and franchises do require a start-up fee. Many of them are legit. You just have to know what you're getting into and be able to sell.

If you want a job, try looking on the job boards for telecommuting jobs. You could also babysit, sell stuff on eBay or Etsy.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:13 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Do you have a former employer you could work for remotely?
    You can search for jobs that match you skill set and have a telecommute option.
    If you have a computer with high speed internet & Microsoft Office Pro & have at least intermediate MS Office skills, you should be able to find work as a virtual assistant (VA). For more information, go to www.ivaa.org, www.iavoa.com, www.vanetworking.com ..
    Do you have a skill or experience that you can turn into a home based business? I have a friend who makes children's hair accessories in her basement & sells them to boutiques around the Midwest. My husband runs a handyman business from our home. I work from home with two lines of business; I do freelance bookkeeping & business organization (along with medical billing), I also do career and job search coaching.
    Feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions about resumes, cover letters, job search strategy & interview pr

Answer by rkoloms at 3:15 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Im going to message you..look for it!
    Happymom2-2

Answer by Happymom2-2 at 4:12 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• any home based biz will require money to start up. a work at home JOB shouldn't charge you anything. you can find wah JOBS on jobnab.com (they guarantee they get you a job), wahm.com, workplacelikehome.com, etc. Good luck. :)
    connorlove

Answer by connorlove at 6:02 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Sure!  I just listed about three new opportunties in my Blog:  Mavi's Home Work

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:00 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I am with gold canyon candles and I love it! I am a SAHM of 4 kiddos and the extra income does help. Right now is a great time to start because you can earn your kit for free. I would love to chat with you more about it, you can either pm me on here or e-mail me at taben04@yahoo.com. Feel free to check out my website at http://mygc.com/tarapiotrowicz Have a great weekend. ~Tara
    pios6

Answer by pios6 at 7:57 PM on Sep. 4, 2010