• In the Spotlight:

first time selling a car,help!!!!!! =(

ok well i'm selling my car because the joint custody agreements i have at times require me to drive almost two hours just to take my son to his father. so i'm hoping to find a more comfortable car... everyone i ask tells me to just put a sign and take the money when i meet my wanted offer. however as always i am a very cautious person and feel like that cant be all. i know i sign off the title but what do i do as far as taking different forms of payments, do i need to go to the m.v.d to fill out paper work..... i'm just nervous this is my only vehicle for myself and son and i really cant imagine losing my car or being ripped off just because i didn't do something correct.

bjacobs821

Asked by bjacobs821 at 11:47 PM on Oct. 12, 2008 in Money & Work

• Craigs list!
    MeganMack

Answer by MeganMack at 11:50 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• no you just sell the car and sign the title. you can try ebay too but i got ripped on that one time. but my car was a classic car. DO NOT take a personal check. only take cash or a cashiers check. and if your bank was anything like my bank. if you get a cashiers check take it to them asap and have them check the validity of it. my bank made 3 phone calls and verified the check. all you have to do is sign the title and give them a bill of sale. that way they have proof that they bought it from you
    chevygirl2007l

Answer by chevygirl2007l at 11:53 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• One more thing, payment only in cash, only accept cash, make sure pink slip is signed by buyers, realease of liability signed by you and buyer, a sale as is contract signed by you and buyer and a contract of how much was paid and info about car and AS IS CONDITION signed by buyer and you.
    MeganMack

Answer by MeganMack at 11:53 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• oh yes the AS IS thing. that got me on my car that i sold. i told the guy about issues it had and he knew the car was as is and still tried to get me on it. i was told that i should have gone over any problems with the car and wrote down each thing we discussed and then have us both sign the paper stating that these are the issues and the car is being sold as is with no warranty. main thing is. if you think it could come back to bother you put it on paper. cover your own back.
    chevygirl2007l

Answer by chevygirl2007l at 11:59 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• I sold my dad's car for my mom when he passed, I didn't want to put my mom under any more stress so I covered all the bases by taking detailed pics of all dents, etc. on car and made the buyer sign in the margin. I also put it all in writing on the bill of sale, I made the guy a little aggravated, but I also photocopied his dl and attached it to my mom's copies. Don't ask me why the dl , I was still grieving my dad and to this day don't know what I was thinking!
    hibicent

Answer by hibicent at 12:25 AM on Oct. 13, 2008