Pick your Battles???

We have all heard that phrase. But I'm curious, when it comes to our children what are some battles that are and are not worth "picking? My son was a very easy baby and toddler, he was a go with the flow type child. My daughter on the other hand was completely opposite lol. She REALLY tested our parenting skills. Things that aren't tolerated in our house are: respect, courtesy and accountability. Things I learned to not fight with, especially my daughter, is clothes lol. My princess has her own sense of style, I learned the hard way, that as long as she is dressed modestly, then she can make up whatever outfits she see's fit to wear. What are some other moms Battles that they either choose or not to deal with?

Zakysmommy

Asked by Zakysmommy at 10:46 AM on Sep. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• You are right on about the clothes. Let them do their own thing as long as it is reasonable. We never worried about our kids rooms too much. Don't know how you feel about that. Their clothes had to be in the hamper if they wanted them washed, no food was allowed in there, and there had to be a monthly pick up, at least. Other than that we didn't stress over toys being around. They often had toys arranged for imaginary play etc. I would often find them just picking up on their own because they saw that we kept a neat house, in general and that rubbed off on them. Just ideas...............
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:52 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I dont' worry too much about their rooms, like you they have to do a total make over about once month. They are almost 17 and 11 and they have learned that when something of theirs gets ruined because they aren't taking care of it...too bad..so sad
    Zakysmommy

Comment by Zakysmommy (original poster) at 10:54 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Definitely the clothes. I have a 2 year old boy and he would wear the same thing every day if I'd let him-i don't, because stuff gets dirty, lol, but I do let him wear the same shirt two days in a row. He's much neater when he eats because he wants to wear it, lol. Also, his room. As long as its not "dirty' i.e, messy underpants that he hides or hiding food, if his toys are on the floor, its ok as long as he helps us clean it up on the weekend. If I insisted on making him clean it every day half of our time would be spent picking up toys. And food-he has to try things, but if he doesn't like it, he doesn't have to eat it. As a kid, my parents made me eat things i hated and it was gross, lol.
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 10:58 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• We never made our kids eat something we knew they hated as well. But they did have to try things, and there was always something on the table we knew they would eat. Sometimes there were just plain stubborn, so those times they went to bed hungary. No battle there lol
    Zakysmommy

Comment by Zakysmommy (original poster) at 11:12 AM on Sep. 4, 2010