Discipline When Its Sorta Your Fault?

My son never bothers my laptop...but for some reason this morning, he decided to scribble all over it and yank some of the keys off-how would you handle this? On one hand, he's been told not to mess with my laptop but on the other I DID leave my laptop out where it was available to him.

FYI, the punishment I used was taking away his crayons since he scribbled on it..I wasn't sure how to handle the keyboard stuff and how to come up with a fitting punishment since it had already happened and he didn't really understand what I was telling him about it...

erinwhitt

Asked by erinwhitt at 10:55 AM on Sep. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son has scribbled on mine with pencil. I told him he is not allowed to do that and not to do it again. I don't think there is really much you can do, except show him what he did and tell him it was wrong and he will be in BIG trouble if it happens again. But, if I were you, I would make sure to put it away every time. Sorry, that sucks, but kids are going to ruin things.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 10:59 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Call me old fashion, but he knew before hand not touch the laptop but did anyway, that would be called "not listening". Yes,you left it where he could get to it, but he knew better, and did it anyway. For me, that would be time out in his room,then tell him why he isn't allowed to touch it. In time, he will understand.
    MomtoMichael2

Answer by MomtoMichael2 at 11:01 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• The way I look at it... we shouldn't punish our kids because we decide to get expensive stuff. I would handle it the same way you would handle if he scribbled on the lamp shade. It obviously depends on the age of this child though. If they are 3+, I would up more upset obviously. I would talk to my son about it, take away his crayons, and send him to time out. He just turned 2.
    Kisses4Henry

Answer by Kisses4Henry at 11:02 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I mean to say we shouldn't punish them MORE because of that. I still think they should be punished for what they did if they knew it was wrong though.
    Kisses4Henry

Answer by Kisses4Henry at 11:03 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I think you handled it the right way, my boys mess w/my laptop all the time after i warned them hands off, but yea i usually do leave it out there too.
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 11:04 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• what you did was fine for punishment.

we parents sometimes forget things, but regardless we even if it's partically our fault we can't not disapline when they do something bad. A light punishment, like taking away the crayons is probably the best punishment .
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:08 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• That's not your fault, that's his. He was taught not to play with the laptop and he still did. Taking away the crayons was a good punishment for the coloring problem, but yes, you do need to have a consequence for pulling the keys off. If he's about 2, you may want to sit him in time out, telling him why. But it might be too long after the misbehavior now, so you might need to let it go for this time now.
    lovesergei

Answer by lovesergei at 2:30 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I disagree entirely with taking his crayons away. My son drew on my very expensive monitor (it was a work of art tho lol) for the better part of my shower. I'm sure he wasn't thinking "Ooooo, I'll teach that Mommy to not give me candy for breakfast by pulling the C-A-N-D-Y keys off her keyboard!" He was thinking.. "I will draw Mommy a pretty picture!" He didn't think where he was putting it, just that you would be SO PROUD when you saw it. It probably hurt his feelings that you didn't like his masterpiece.
    As far as taking the crayons away, how else is he supposed to learn except for by learning by experience? It is your fault partly... you should have taken the time to say that this computer is Mommy's and you can only touch it when Mommy is here. Teach him respect for other people's belongings. As a PP said, it's not their fault that you have expensive things. In the end it doesn't matter, it's just a laptop...
    FateoftheGodz

Answer by FateoftheGodz at 5:14 AM on Sep. 6, 2010