What can I do to stop my 2 1/2 year old daughter from touching her genitals even in front of visitors? Is it normal?

KendiKing

Asked by KendiKing at 10:58 AM on Sep. 4, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• explain that there are things we do in private. at that age, their interested in them because they're starting to realize that everyone is different and boys and girls have different organs...don't shame her or make her feel bad for being interested, just say that some people already know and don't need a refresher course on the wonders of womanhood, lol.
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 11:00 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I have that same problem w/my 4yr old son, he does it everywhere when i take him to school, or when we go out to eat, i normally get after him and tell him its wrong that people are going to make fun of him , but id say its a little harder because your dd is still young to understand why she shouldnt do it, i guess just stop her whenever she is doing it.
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 11:01 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• It is normal and I agree that she needs to be told it is not something you do when she's with other people.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:02 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Totally normal. My son is 4 and still does that. I try to explain to him that it is a private thing he should only do in his room. I am constantly talling him to get his hands out of his pants.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 11:02 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Distract her when she starts doing it in public. Remind her that's a "private thing to do."
    MommaNoonoo

Answer by MommaNoonoo at 11:02 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• when my daughter was that age i just told her it was something she does in private not in public
    mmtosam06

Answer by mmtosam06 at 11:09 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• It's normal, all kids do it. They should not be made to be ashamed of it, but need to learn that they do it in private. With a child that age, I would say distraction works the easiest as 2 year olds do not have many reasoning skills as a whole
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:11 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Yeesh. Glad I'm not the only one. Let's see.........my 3-yr-old likes to hump the floor, my 5-yr-old is also constantly having to be told to get his hands out of his pants, and my daughter is the biggest Princess Tomboy you've ever seen (aka, she likes to wear dresses, but it's like she will do EVERYTHING she's not supposed to do in a dress. I can't count how many times I've had to tell her to close her legs 'cause she was flashing everybody and even she likes to touch herself).

It's frustrating, but I agree with erinwhitt: Try to get them to understand that this isn't the way people behave in public. It is normal for kids this age. It's nothing perverse, they've only figured out that it feels good to touch themselves there.
    PaganMommy04

Answer by PaganMommy04 at 11:29 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I think thats a stage. But I would tell her that its something that you do in private,. not in front of guests/ visitors.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 5:44 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• totally normal! Tell her they are private parts and she needs to do that in private.
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 10:09 PM on Sep. 4, 2010