Ideas to get 3 year old DD to clean up regularly?

She knows where things go, we sing the song, and I don't want to be the one doing it. Ideas?

MommaNoonoo

Asked by MommaNoonoo at 11:01 AM on Sep. 4, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• the song works on mine so this is not a tested theory....Hang up a cleaning chart and whenever she does something (picks up toys, makes bed, puts clothes in basket) she gets a star, when she gets x number of stars, she gets a treat (doesn't have to be candy, could even be that she picks what you're having for dinner that night).
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 11:04 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Tell her she has to help before you go on to the next activity, have a snack, etc. I assume the song is about doing it together. Could you also have a reward like a sticker and maybe a "helper's chart"? Just ideas..........
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:04 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Offer a reward. Maybe an Ice Cream on Friday if she cleans up all week? Maybe a sticker chart, for so many stickers she gets to do something fun like buy a new toy, get an ice cream, or something like that. GL!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 11:05 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I tell my DD that if she doesn't put them away her toys will be too tired to play the next day.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 11:06 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• All you can really do is have her help you. My pediatrician asked if my son picks up his toys (when he wants to), as a developmental question. My son is 4 and I will tell him to pick stuff up and he will ALWAYS tell me he needs help. It drives me crazy because he didn't need help making the mess. Just try to be consistent. The songs help. If she completely ignores you and won't even help you pick up her toys, then I would say, "ok, since I have to pick up these toys all by myself, I guess I will pick them up and put the all in the trash. Once she sees you pull out the trash can, she will start to help, or she will be like my son with some things and help you throw them away! LOL
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 11:07 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I once accidentally sucked a matchbox car up when I was vacuuming. That was years ago and the kids still run to clean up if I mention that I might vacuum.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:16 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I am having the same issue with my 5 year old... we're def. going to try to the sticker reward chart, and maybe an ice cream reward on Sat. Thanks!
    SusieQue717

Answer by SusieQue717 at 11:31 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I don't give her a choice ... with all three of my girls, they are required to pick up one activity or set of toys before being allowed to go on to the next. If they do not, they inevitably miss out on something. They don't want to miss out, therefore they pick up.
    This morning, my Anja did not want to pick up her toys. Her older sisters were sitting down to paint pictures with watercolors. Anja wanted to paint too. I told her "you cannot paint, you have not picked up your toys". She picked up her toys very quickly, as she wanted to paint with her sisters.
    lovesergei

Answer by lovesergei at 2:49 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Make a game out of it.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 5:44 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I use the threat of I'm going to be vaccuming soon so better pick things up or the vaccum will suck it up. I have also threatened them with putting their things away in the garage if they don't take care of their toys...I did however once use the threat of having a garage sale and selling my son's toys...he though that would be fun to make money then we could buy new ones...yeah so that does not work as a threat, lol
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 9:25 PM on Sep. 4, 2010