needing some ideas on how to potty train my 2 1/2 year old daughter. please help

kellee77

Asked by kellee77 at 11:17 AM on Sep. 4, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• at walmart they have a seat cover for toilets they have diferent selections and princess ones maybe you should get one of those
    kris8525

Answer by kris8525 at 11:29 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• When I started I just get them used to sitting on it, so i would let them sit on it while they watched their favorite show. If they used it meanwhile, I made a big deal out of it! Then I just started taking them every hour to sit on the potty whether they went or not. Make a big deal of it when she does go, they love that! Maybe a sticker chart would be good for her? We did that with my last son and he really enjoyed getting his elmo sticker when he went potty. I have now successfully potty trained 4 children and have 1 left to go. Like I said, just get her used to it at first, then start taking her at regular intervals, and give her a treat or make a big deal when she does go. It's not an overnight thing usually but it'll happen... Good Luck!
    MrsSantiago

Answer by MrsSantiago at 1:15 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Just keep putting her on and when she does pee on it, get all excited & clap your hands.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 5:43 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• let her see you go potty, and make a big deal about it "see, Mommy went peepee in the potty like a big girl! Do you want to try?" and you also need to make sure she is ready.
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 10:05 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• There are a bunch of books out there with different methods. I went the no pressure way with my son. I bought the potty chair and a few potty books for kids. We read the books at least once a day until he understood the terms and what the potty was for. I even talked through when I had to use the bathroom and brought him in there with me. We couldn't get him to go every time even though he started to recognize when he had to go so I bribed him with M&Ms (stickers didn't work) - he got 3 or 4 only after going potty. I wish I had fully switched him to underwear though - we would still use pull-ups and I think that made it take longer. We made a huge deal each time he went and now he still wants a high five each time he goes but that is a huge motivator for him.
    Autumn317

Answer by Autumn317 at 12:26 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• We started by putting our son on the potty once a day. If he refused, we gave up and tried the next day. When we got the point at which he'd sit and usually pee, we started training. I let him go without pants the few couple of days. (It was just easier.) We put him on the potty every 45 minutes. If he peed, we celebrated (a few M&Ms). If not, we tried again in 10 minutes. We did that until he either peed or had an accident. Then we restarted the process. (adjust the times based on your experiences) After 2 days he had the basic idea and we added regular underwear. As he got better, we increased the time between attempts. I also found that using a timer made it easier to keep track.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 9:38 PM on Sep. 5, 2010