Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Please help with son problem..

My son is 13 and he's in a so called relationship with a 17-yr-old girl. She's the worst influence ever. She does some drugs, she dressed like a punk, she got him to get a tattoo and I found out 3 months later!!

Of course he's not allowed out with her but he lies too much, skips school, sneaks out of the house etc.. Every few weeks she breaks up with him and he spends his days in his room crying, with no food, no friends and he's been very agressive lately.

I have tried to be understanding, be his friend so he could trust me and stop lying, but nothing. Now he's just now allowed to see her but he still does. And the parents of that girl said they feel it's not their place to get in the middle of their daughter's love life.

He's 13 for goodness sakes!! What does she want with him?


Asked by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Sep. 4, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • I'd go aggressive here since he's already done something crazy he will regret for life (the tattoo)
    I'd try and get a restraining order or something against her
    I would honestly send my son away somewhere (like a behavioral camp)
    And if it were really bad
    I would just up and move
    I know thats extreme and expensive and life changing
    but my children will always come first.

    Answer by gottalovemal at 11:39 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

  • She could be playing mind games with him. He needs to find friends to be with so he doesn't feel so alone. She appears to be a bad influence on him but it's obvious that she is not the someone he should be with but since he's just become a teenager he wants to fit in somewhere and he's having a hard time doing so. Other firends may help to change his attitude altogether and steer him in the right direction.

    Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 11:34 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

  • Well, she may be trying to control him, or have a young man she can groom into what she wants in a man. At 17 I wasn't interested in 13 year olds... I would suggest talking to the girl yourself. If her parents won't, maybe you should. If she's a bad influence you may see a different side talking to her. If worse comes to worse the next time he sneaks out call the police. If they're having intercourse you could get her on indecent sexual assualt, sex with a minor, depending on the laws in your state.

    Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 11:38 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

  • I agree with Gottalovemal. This isn't time to be soft. He can screw up his entire life with the choices he's making right now.

    Answer by karamille at 11:49 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

  • I would call her parents again, and tell them they may want to take the time to get involved, and tell them the minute she turned 18 I would have her arrested for Statutory Rape! I would also talk to the local police, and see if I could prosecute now because of the difference in age.
    I would also sit my son down and have a serious talk with him. I would tell him that I loved him with all my heart, and because of that I could no longer watch him go down this destructive path. That until she was no longer a part of his life he would not be allowed to go out without me at all. That I would be in contact with his school, and that if he skipped so much as one more day I would go with him from then on until he decided he was mature enough to go himself. And if I heard of him "sneaking out" again, I would install window alarms on his bedroom! There are times to back down, and times to be tough, sounds like you got to get tough

    Answer by mommy11260 at 11:54 AM on Sep. 4, 2010