I feel like I am missing something in my life......

I am happily married and a SAHM to my 4 year old dd in which I love doing. But I just feel like something is missing. I wonder if it could be church? I didn't grow up in church and go once in a while with my in-laws. I guess I just need to go and see if this is what it is. Has anyone else felt like this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:06 PM on Sep. 4, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I do. It is hard to find the right religion or right denomination for yourself. I view myself as spiritual in my own ways.
    queen.bee

Answer by queen.bee at 12:09 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Yes, and I went in search of who I was as a person because I realized I didnt know who I truly was. I had always been the doer for everyone else and hadnt gotten a chance to know me.

Once I started on that journey I had a better understanding of me, my spirituality, and pretty much everything else in my world and life.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 12:25 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• YES!! I feel like that a lot. Like I'm ALMOST completely happy, but there's one little piece still missing. A couple of years ago, we started attending church. It made a huge difference! I don't think we would have made it through these last couple of years if we hadn't started going to church. We love our church. Our Pastor delivers wonderful sermons without being pushy about beliefs. He explains things in a way that is easy to relate to modern day issues. And the people are wonderful. I love so many of them and it's comforting to know that I could go to them with anything. It's a Nazarene church btw.
    I don't know if church is what's missing from your life. But it's worth a shot. I still feel like I'm missing something all the time, but I know more of where that's coming from and it has to do with my OCD and how that affects my housework. (long story! lol)
    Good luck, and I hope you find what you're looking for.
    Megs5384

Answer by Megs5384 at 12:26 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Please do not assume it's church or God missing from your life- sit down and really think about yourself and your life. It could be many things other than religion.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 1:30 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Yes....it wasn't really fulfilled through church, though that helped....spirituality, prayer, music, art, etc. helped also....meditation helped....and discovering my bliss, having passion.....God....my soul longs for God......."my soul will not rest until it rests in thee, oh Lord"
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 2:23 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I'm with IhartU.

Many people feel or experience times when they feel like something is missing from their lives. And too many immediately hop on the religion band wagon thinking/hoping that will be the fix they are looking for. When in reality, it's not God or religion that they are missing. It's THEMSELVES... Look into yourself.. Start there. You just may find what you are looking for in you. Sounds like that you are most likely just hitting that "I'm mom, and not "me" any longer", stage that many a woman hits after becoming a wife/mother. You need to find you. Religion can not and will not be fulfilling, if it's actually "YOU" that's missing, and not God or religion.

pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:28 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• This is kind of the wrong place to ask this question since there are so many God / religion haters here. If you feel it might be what you're missing, go and find out if you're right. There's nothing wrong with it, maybe God is knocking on the door of your heart, I know I couldn't feel content or complete without God or my faith. I'm afraid though that if you truly feel that may be what's missing in your life then there are probably a lot of people here on CM that will try to talk you out of it and push you the other way. Do what's in your heart. Follow your heart. GL!
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 3:37 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Ok, I posted earlier but had more to add after reading the other responses. I did not "jump on the church bandwagon". I had hit that "I'm just a mom" wall and felt I was missing something. Going to church helped me find ME again. It helped me remember the kind of mom, wife, friend, and woman I wanted to be. It helped me put into perspective what was important to me and my family and what was really important in life.
    Again, I'm not saying that church is what's missing for you, but I wouldn't have found myself again and figured out all that stuff WITHOUT church. It's ok to find yourself through religion. And believe me, I'm NOT a very religious person. In fact, there's a lot of stuff in the bible that I don't really agree with. But what I feel when I walk into my church, it's just an awesome feeling. So much love, friendship and acceptance. And a great feeling of peace and... wholeness. (is that a word? lol oh well)
    Megs5384

Answer by Megs5384 at 3:42 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Religion can help some find themselves again. But not everyone. To say that it is what everyone needs is incorrect.

I'm a very firm believer in God.. And I was raised Hindu. So If I were to tell people ''Go to your nearest Temple. And find God. The guru's and teachers there will help you find you".. Would that be a correct thing for me to put out there for someone? I feel that "No" it would not be. My religious beliefs are not everyone else's. They are not right for everyone else, they are right for me. So to tell someone that is the right route for them to go, would be horribly egotistical of me, I feel. :-)

If other's feel that their religion is the way to solve other people's problems or help guide them.. I think that's great. Share it, guide people and encourage people to take that route. It's just not something I can do in good conscience.

I hope that makes sense :-)
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:48 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• @pixie trix: Well, if you read both of my responses to the end, both of them say that I don't know if church will be her answer. But it's worth a shot. And I didn't push any specific religion on her. I *did* say that I went to a Nazarene church, but that was more of a "if you're wondering" thing then a "this is where you will find the answers" thing. She should pick a church and faith based only on what is right for her and her family. I never once said that yes, this is what's missing, and you need to go to church. Nor did I say it was going to solve all her problems..
    And you're right, religion isn't the answer for everyone. I never would say it is. I was simply sharing my great experience with her and letting her know that yes, it did fill a void with ME and MIGHT do the same for her.
    Megs5384

Answer by Megs5384 at 5:42 PM on Sep. 4, 2010