Living with Diabetes...

I knowa little about diabetes..but I really need to learn more since my step son has been diagnosed with it. He's 18, lives away at college and only a week after starting there, he went to the E.R. with problems and they found out he had diabetes.
ANYWAY..he's here for the weekend. He has to check his blood 3x a day and take 3 insulin shots a day.
I asked dh what does he need to eat. He just shrugged his shoulders and said he can eat whatever.
I've always been under the impression that when you have diabetes, your diet should change and you shouldnt rely just on the insulin shots to control the problem.
Is that the case or am I being too much of a worry wart stickler?lol
I think it would be best if he started learning how to eat a diabetic diet,eating healthy and taking care of his body.
How do YOU or someone you know handle living with diabetes?

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 12:21 PM on Sep. 4, 2010 in Health

• A diabetic diet eliminates or cuts back on foods with refined flours & sugars, using whole grains, high fiber, protein, & foods with complex carbs to round out the diet. Portion control is a key element to a diabetic diet. This diet does not work the same with every diabetic; most diabetics have "trigger foods" that, while healthy & on the diabetic diet list, raise blood sugars more than others. For instance: I can eat cooked dry beans or an apple & they don't affect my blood sugar as much as eating a slice of 100% whole grain bread or a bowl of old fashioned oatmeal. All of those foods are on the allowed list, but obviously my body reacts differently. I do better on a low carb diet....NOT no carb, but low carb. I cut out most breads, pasta, rice, and cereals. I only eat high fiber cereal & bread, & watch portions. Lots of veggies and lean proteins, cheese, and lower sugar/high fiber fruits like apples or pears.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 1:58 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• It's still possible to eat the same food as everyone else, but I am strict with my portion sizes when I do. One-half cup is the usual portion size for anything starchy, and I can't go over that in a meal. If we have, for example, roast chicken with stuffing and squash on the side, I take 1/4 c. stuffing and 1/4 c. squash. Both are considered starchy foods so I need to watch that.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 2:01 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Since he is away at college hopefully he has a meal ticket program at the cafeteria at school. Just advice to make his meal plate as colorful as possible. Have him talk to a school nurse if they have one for advice.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 6:38 PM on Sep. 4, 2010