Is sleeping on your back really that bad?

I just want to know because that seems to be the onlyposition i can really get comfortable, so has anybody else slept on their back during pregnancy?

drdavenport

Asked by drdavenport at 12:44 PM on Sep. 4, 2010 in Pregnancy

• HEY!! I actually asked my doctor the last time i went, she told me it was not that serious to worry about until 28 weeks, then try not to lay FLAT on your back. Its only because right where your back and butt meet, at the base of your spine, is the vena cava, and that suppplies blood to the baby, as well as your mid to lower areas, so if your baby relaxes on it or puts too much pressure on it, blood flow will slow.
    cupcake1441

Answer by cupcake1441 at 6:10 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• It may be more comfortable now but when you get further along, it will make you dizzy, light headed and nauseous. It's recommended that you don't, but I always think that your body will let you know when you should not lie on your back any longer.
    MrsSantiago

Answer by MrsSantiago at 1:00 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• The reason why you shouldn't sleep on your back is because the weight of your growing uterus presses on a major artery that supplies blood flow (and therefore oxygen) to your body. This becomes a problem after around 16 weeks.

If you aren't flat on your back, it will minimize the side effects.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 12:54 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I'm 32 weeks and I can only get comfortable on my back too I wake up in the middle of the night feeling guilty on my back so I switch to the left side but it hurts like there's too much weight on one side...
    Kre10

Answer by Kre10 at 1:02 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• It's not good....but i'm guilty of sleeping on my back too cause it was the only comfy spot. maybe you could try putting a pillow under you on one side to give you a slight prop. it might be comfy too and your not laying flat....I dont think you need a huge incline, thatd how they do it in the hospitals.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 1:38 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• as much as i want to lie on my back, i can't, it makes me feel really sick.
    otoole

Answer by otoole at 3:46 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• They advise that you keep yourself propped up if you sleep on your back. Laying flat on your back puts pressure on the aorta and vena cava which reduces blood flow to your baby.
    ladyambition

Answer by ladyambition at 4:32 PM on Sep. 4, 2010