What's the best sunscreen for going to the beach?

I recently went the beach and applied the spray sunscreen and two or three hours later I still had sunburn even my eyes were bright red and burning. Does that mean I'm allergic to the sun? Help!
I love to go to the beach. What should I do for labor day weekend?

janeq123

Asked by janeq123 at 12:45 PM on Sep. 4, 2010 in Health

• waterbabies
    queen.bee

Answer by queen.bee at 12:47 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I don't think you're allergic to the sun. You have to reapply sunscreen every few hours or so. Read the label it will tell you.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 12:47 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• You have to apply sunscreen two hours prior to sun exposure, and then every two hours. It's not effective the moment you put it on. I like Neutragena dry touch.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:47 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• A full spectrum 30 spf that is waterproof. Don't forget SPF chapstick and Sunglasses. Also even if the sunscreen say's it is waterproof reapply every 1-2 1/2 hours. And any time you have spent an extended amount of time in the water. Wear a hat and get a sleeved wrap for being out of the water. I am soooo sensitive to the sun I burn to a crisp in 2 hours without anything!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:55 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• We live on the beach, so my opinions are from personal experience. I haven't found many of the spray sunscreens that really work good. So much of it is discharged into the air and if you didn't shake it first, you may not have actually got the sunscreen ingredients on you. It is very important thay you apply your sunblock a half hour before you go into the sun, it needs time to get into your skin and start working. I find that Banana Boat SPF 30 and higher (either for kids or babies) in a tube.....it's really thick, works the very best. One of my children has red hair and white skin so it is super important that I don't let him burn and as much as we are at the beach, I only use the Banana Boat for babies on him. Like I said put it on 1/2 an hour in advance and REAPPLY after a few hours. The reapply is when we'll use the spray stuff. Also wear sunglasses to keep your eyes from burning, you can get cancer in your eyes too
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 1:09 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Try California Baby. Adults can use it also. It's very good for sensitive skin.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 1:09 PM on Sep. 4, 2010