I'm 36 weeks preggers, if I'm a crazy sleeper...

and wake up sleeping on my stomach or very far on my sides, can that twist my sons umbilical cord or cause it to wrap around his neck?

PANZONSMOM

Asked by PANZONSMOM at 12:51 PM on Sep. 4, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I havent had that happen to me yet! LOL Im 38 weeks on 3rd pregnancy and I've been known to sleep like a fish tossing and turn and flipping all night long. I've woken up on my belly several times during all my pregnancies.None have had the umbilical cord wrapped around thier necks.
    I'm not sure what does cause it though...other than the baby moving around like a crazy fish in there :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:55 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I slept on my stomach with all five of my pregnancies as long as I could. I never had any umbilical cord problems with any of my children (actually no complications at all). Not to say that there isn't the possibility, but I believe that this would be caused by something other then sleeping on your stomach.
    MrsSantiago

Answer by MrsSantiago at 1:03 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I think they have to be doing the flipping my son had it around his neck and body come labor time he didn't tolerate it at all but he came out fine w a csection for other reasons too
    Kre10

Answer by Kre10 at 1:05 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I was told baby is well protected and the only thing you should not do is sleep on your back
    MsHouseWife

Answer by MsHouseWife at 2:24 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I don't see how the two are connected. Sleeping on your stomach is more likely to cause you pain or piss baby off, but having it wrap the cord reminds me of the old wives tale about not lifting your arms above your head when pregnant. Really it's last thing you should worry about.
    Ashes0813

Answer by Ashes0813 at 2:29 PM on Sep. 4, 2010