US witholds millions in anti drug aid.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/04/world/americas/04mexico.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss

What do you think?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 12:53 PM on Sep. 4, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Well, it's clear that the money ISN'T trickling down to the agencies responsible for taking care of the drug cartels, which are running rampant all over Mexico, INCLUDING areas close to tourist hot spots!

Just last week, drug cartels fire bombed a bar/restaurant in Cancun killing 8 people. Why? Because the owners of the establishment refused to give them a chunk of their profits for protection.

This happened just 5 miles from the main tourist areas. But what is to stop cartels from invading tourist areas?! It only takes one well orchestrated incident to destroy the tourism industry there!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:46 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• The vast majority of US aid that is given out around the world (even in times of disaster/emergency) comes with strings attached. When the conditions aren't met, then the US can (and does in some cases, depending on how valuable the US's return on the agreement is) pull the aid.

Will the US pulling this aid have any affect in regards to what's going on in Mexico/drug cartels.... Nope it won't.. But our aid that is going there isn't making any difference either. So, I wonder. What was the US's "payback" or "gimme" that was coming back our way in exchange for the aid (if any) was/is.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:40 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• What did they expect? Seems no one ever really deserves the millions we give them.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 5:46 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• oh well.
    Nameismommy

Answer by Nameismommy at 1:07 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Okay, I give... :) Miss me much, lol

Hmmm, maybe it's needed for what "they" consider a much better use, a building at ground zero and No, I don't have a link, I'm just pondering...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 12:12 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 12:54 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• personally I think they should withhold a lot more of it.
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 1:08 PM on Sep. 4, 2010