How do you get a routine going for homeschooed kids?

I'm going to challenge myself this year and homeschool three oh yeah.

janeq123

Asked by janeq123 at 12:55 PM on Sep. 4, 2010 in

• We write our daily schedules down, then we tweak it as we go along until it's a workable schedule. Then we follow it as close as possible to help it become a habit. Each child may have a different schedule doing different things at different times, but we try to include as much together time as possible especially at mealtimes, first thing in the morning & before bed. Keeping your schedule simple & fun really helps to develop a good routine & cuts down on a lot of wasted time that can be filled with more fun, family time.
    ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 1:11 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Go with your gut and don't be afraid to change it up. For some families it's starting at the same time everyday, each kid or age group having a certain time slot, it really depends on your family. I have worked with many different families and everyone is different. I know this is very broad but I hope it helps!
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 1:12 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• The same way that you'd get a routine going for a public/private school child. You wake them up at a certain time, give them breakfast, and get right to school work. Something of that nature. It'd be best to do home schooling in a room without distraction, even if it's the dinning room. That way you're not losing their focus as easily.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:37 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• They know right off the bat that there is no toys until after school is done. That helps a lot otherwise we have a house full of toys thrown everywhere while we are trying to concentrate on school work, which never works! We do it first thing after breakfast, that way they have the rest of the day after we are done to do whatever.
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 2:05 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• The nice thing about making your own schedule is that you can change it when it doesn't work. I'm not home schooling, but anything, in general, works better with a schedule.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:38 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I home schooled my oldest daughter in grade 8. A lot depends on the child. Some kids do better with working on two subjects for a few months and then moving on to 2 more. Others need to follow a more usual subject agenda. As far as time goes I did my classes for 45 minutes. We pretty much followed the same time schedule as school did. Except we just had a half day on Friday.
    L.A.F.outloud

Answer by L.A.F.outloud at 3:14 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Thanks for all the tips. I want to homeschool!
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 6:24 PM on Sep. 5, 2010