Soapbox Question: The Good Samaritan

I was told in one of my last question that I should get my own soapbox to preach "whatever Gospel it is I believe in" and thought it was a great idea. But since I don't like preaching I'll post in the questions to promote discussion.

So my first question is... Do you agree or disagree with this statement, "If Jesus were preaching in America today the role of the Good Samaritan would be played by an illegal immigrant. Better yet an illegal immigrant who is a migrant farmer that barely speaks English."

If you agree or disagree say why or what it means to you...

I'll post a link to the story of the Good Samaritan below for any who care to comment but are unfamiliar with it.

Thanks for all of your answers. This is fun!

elizabiza

Asked by elizabiza at 1:03 PM on Sep. 4, 2010 in Religious Debate

• The story of the Good Samaritan is found in Luke 10:: 25-37

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke+10&version=NIV

elizabiza

Comment by elizabiza (original poster) at 1:05 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• No. I think that part would be played by a Muslim- seeing how Americans are hating on them right now.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 1:34 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I agree with IhartU. It would be a Muslim.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:46 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Sure an illegal immigrant, but only if he were passing through our country and was in need of help, not if he were planning on staying illegally and sucking our system dry.
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 1:48 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I would say it would be an illegal immigrates. Not all muslims are foriegners
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:12 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Not sure who would fit this role. Remember that when Jesus taught this parable the people of Samaria were considered unclean, beneath the Israelites. Also at that time there were only pagan religions and Judaism so the comparison was more direct.
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 2:40 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• YOU NEED TO READ THE STORY AGAIN........ IT IS TALKING ABOUT ...JESUS IS The Good Samaritan DONT READ THINGS IN TO THE BIBLE THAT WAS NOT THERE........ THE MAN HURT ON THE ROAD ARE LOST WITH OUT SALVATION THROUGH JESUS CHRIST..... THE TWO RELIGOUS MEN CAN DO NOTHING FOR THE ALMOST DEAD MAN... BUT THE The Good Samaritan HAS TWO THINGS WATER AND OIL ... WATER WASHES AND OIL HEALS .. SO HE WASHED AND HEALED THE MAN AND LEFT HIM WITH A IN KEEPER AFTER WARDS HE WOULD PAY WHAT EVER WAS NEEDED FOR THE MANS CARE..... NO MAN IS GOOD EXCEPT JESUS CHRIST THE LORD AND SAVIOR OF ALL WHO REPENT OF OUR SIN.................  ASK THE HOLY SPRIT TO TELL YOU WHAT THE STORY IS ABOUT....... THANKS . HAVE A GOOD DAY IN  JESUS LOVE

yovonna

Answer by yovonna at 2:46 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I believe it could be possible....in America immigrants (legal or not) that don't look European are often treated as outcasts, as well as people of non-christian religions.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 3:12 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I believe that since he was a Pagan the first time he would be again. This was just one of the times that Christ was telling his disciples that he came for all, not just the Jews.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 3:56 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• yovonna- Jesus told the story in response to the question "who is my neighbor?" At the end of the story Jesus asks, "which of these men was a neighbor to the man... go and do likewise."
    I hate to say it but you are the one making the parable an allegory ("reading into the story").
    elizabiza

Comment by elizabiza (original poster) at 9:11 PM on Sep. 4, 2010