What Car Seat should I buy

I don't know whether I should buy a rear facing one or a front view. Which one is more safer.

1youngmomof2

Asked by 1youngmomof2 at 2:18 PM on Sep. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i like the small cross over suvs.... good on gas miliage and you have a lot of room in them!
    pinkdena

Answer by pinkdena at 2:19 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• depends on how old the child is, but rear facing is always the safest. I'd say the best bet for safety and money, is to get a convertible carseat. One that can be forward or rear facing and will last until the child is like 4 or 5.

I had a travel system (stroller and carseat that came together) for my daughters first 10 months of life. Then we bought a convertible carseat that was bigger for her and could go rear or forward.
    gottalovemal

Answer by gottalovemal at 2:22 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Rear facing is safer, and is required up to a certain age and weight! How old is your baby? I had a Graco Snugride infant seat that lasted up until 20lbs, rear facing. Then at 20lbs we got a Graco MyRide which can go either forward or rear facing. I really liked both seats a lot and they were in the mid-price range - not too much money, but not super cheap quality either. I also have a very cheap Cosco Scenera and we hate it.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 4:36 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• You probably want a convertible, that can face forward or rear face. By, law, baby MUST be rear facing until a MINIMUM of both 1 yr old and 20 lbs. However, the current recommendations are to keep baby rear facing until a MINIMUM of 2 yrs old.

I'd also suggest one that goes up to at least 65 lbs. I have the Britax Marathon (I've had my LO in this since she was about 8 lbs). Baby can stay rear facing up to 35 lbs, and forward facing (with the 5 pt harness) until 65 lbs. when you look at price, consider that if it goes up to 65 lbs your child will easily fit in it for 5-6 years.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:47 PM on Sep. 4, 2010