1 year olds and tatrums?

so my 1 yea rold twin boys throw these huge fits when I take things from them that they cant have or remove them from somewhere they cant be (ie the couch) etc etc
well lately they've been screaming their heads off if I leave the room.
theyre gated into the family room which is pretty big and has all their toys.
the kitchen is next to it, only separated by the island counter so I can see them from the kitchen.
should I just ignore their screaming?
what have you done in this situation?

ElsaSalsaaa

Asked by ElsaSalsaaa at 2:22 PM on Sep. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my son does the same thing but when he gets mad he hits his head and all i do is ignore him when he does it and not give in i found he only does it for attintion and they do it because they no they can gett away with it so just keep ignoreing it and dont give in cuz thats what they want you to do is give in so they can get there way but show them who is boss mamma
    Runt420

Answer by Runt420 at 4:10 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I ignore it in that I don't give into the tantrum (I don't want LO to learn that it works!) At the same time I talk to them nicely and calmly "I know it is fun to climb on the couch but you need to stay on the floor." "I can see you're upset that Mommy is in the kitchen, but I need you to play out there while I cook." The eventual goal is that they learn to "use their words" instead of throwing a tantrum. by trying to say what they are thinking I'm laying the groundwork for them to be able to do that themselves down the road.
    Also, do what you can to smooth those transitions. Can you coax baby to give you that marble instead of just taking it out of their hand? Can you sing a little song about going into the kitchen to cook while they play with their toys? (corny, I know) Maybe help them get engaged in something and then say "You keep playing with this while I go cook us dinner."
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:53 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I pick her up and wear her in a mei tai or kanga wrap. She's happy and I get things done. At that age they just don't want to be separated and left out of the action. No toy can compare to the wonder that is mother. If she's upset that I've taken something from her I aknoweldge that she is upset and try to distract her. Sometimes she just needs to be angry for a minute.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:40 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I typically let my dd have her tantrum.. it never lasted long after the first time or two that she realized it wasn't going to make mommy disappear, but I wasn't going to pick her up 24/7 either.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:48 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• @maggiemom2000 thanks thats a good idea. If they find something they want to play with, they play soo well. Theyre really great, sweet babies, but they have their moments like most. Like right now theyre playing together, putting blocks in and out of this little bucket. I think sometimes I get to frustrated and overwhelmed from their screaming that I forget to try and distract them lol, they can be pretty loud.

thanks everyone!
    ElsaSalsaaa

Comment by ElsaSalsaaa (original poster) at 12:03 PM on Sep. 7, 2010