my son has ringworm...

my son, 28 months old loves playing in the dirt. I noticed a scaly rash on his elbow earlier this week, a few days ago I saw a "ring" on his leg, and today I saw a big ring on his foot. He's napping right now so i cant go to a store, but I'd really appreciate some remedies!

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 2:46 PM on Sep. 4, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Lotrimin - an OTC anti-fungal. As an Athletic Trainer I treat this every year in our wrestlers - this is the standard treatment if it is not to bad. Also keep it covered when other might come in contact with it. But, if it's spreading or on the scalp he HAS to see the doc for oral meds!!!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 3:10 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• He needs to see a doctor

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:51 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• would it be safe to say "wait till tuesday"? And OF COURSE his insurance ran out and we'll have to pay out of pocket. he has been on medicaid...they do reimbursments for appointments 30 days before renewal right?
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 2:53 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I have always heard clear nail polish over the spot, but then again, i have heard lots of old time remedies that aren't accurate. I grew up in the sticks!
    Here is a site I just found for you that may be helpful:
    http://www.natural-homeremedies.com/homeremedies_ringworm.htm

Good luck!
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 2:59 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• looks like every other suggestion is using bleach lol. we dont have any bleach, and to be honest I woulnt feel comfortable putting it on my son. especially if it's known to burn.
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 3:04 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• what my mom used to do for me, is paint it over with clear nail polish. I'd get it a lot, I was a little tom boy. She said the nail polish keeps it from getting oxygen or spreading and you can't rly tell anything is on it.

I did this recently for myself and it worked. If you do this, make sure to use a different brush each time to a new bottle each time. I would pour it from the jar to the spot and spread it with a latex glove (im not allergic to latex) and that way I didnt have to use anything new except gloves which are cheap. It's a home remedy that works, but some ppl would be opposed.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck!!!
    gottalovemal

Answer by gottalovemal at 3:05 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• what about vinegar or tea tree oil? garlic?
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 3:20 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I'd take him to the Dr.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 5:37 PM on Sep. 4, 2010