Mental Hospital

Has anyone been to one? I am going tomorrow to help with my bi-polar and i am kind of scared...Any suggestions....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:49 PM on Sep. 4, 2010 in Health

• hugs

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:50 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• ((hugs)) It will be okay. My grandma has been in a few, and she has always been treated great and gotten the help she needs.
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 2:51 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Yes, I have been hospitalized quite a few times in the past - while each program is different, they always have treated me with respect and gotten me the help that I need. It's intensive, the groups are great, and the food sucks. It's hospital food, after all :)
    GL Momma!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:53 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I was forced to stay at a psych ward but not a mental hospital. Don't be scared. You're going there for help, and if they are a good place, they will treat you right, like a human, and take care of you. Good luck, I hope it helps!!

way to go

gottalovemal

Answer by gottalovemal at 2:54 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• bump

syida

Answer by syida at 2:58 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Honestly, I'd say don't. Maybe it's cause I was sent as a young teen for no reason (just like MANY of the other teens there). But it wasn't a hospital in my eyes. There was no help or healing. There was hardly any therapy. It was jut groups of people on a schedule and a bunch of pills til your insurance ran out. There were few people there who had real mental problems. They were just upset teens from bad environments who's anger got them stuck with the label "depressed". The staff was rude and it didn't feel like they saw us as people. With attitudes like that and many being admitted for nothing, I don't see how a place like that could really help anyone. I don't think less serious problems like bipolar (something I was labeled with) are cause for hospitalization.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 2:59 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Jess, sorry you had a bad experience. I wouldn't consider bipolar disorder a "less serious" condition though. People are often misdiagnosed, but true bipolar disorder is very serious and needs proper treatment. OP, you will be fine. Most hospitals are very helpful and you should go get the help you need. Do it for yourself and your family. I hope you feel better soon.
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 3:10 PM on Sep. 4, 2010