How do you save money?

my husband works and we barely have money
What do I do to save?

janeq123

Asked by janeq123 at 2:51 PM on Sep. 4, 2010 in Money & Work

• i put all the change in find away in a jar and cash it in and put it away where no one knows. its rainy day money. I just keep the budget tight and put away as much as I can.
    gottalovemal

Answer by gottalovemal at 2:53 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• We have a strict budget and we stick to it; I make a meal plan every week which has really cut down on the money I've spent on groceries; we cancelled/downgraded any service (cell phone, tv etc) that we did not need; we stopped eating out... and so on and so on! Whatever your income is, you just have to figure out a way to live below it, or increase your income.

For additional help, check out http://www.DaveRamsey.com

Or the Dave Ramsey Fans group here on CM
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 2:55 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I try to stay at home and out of stores as much as possible especially Walmart. I will go there for a couple of things and spend three times as much money and leave the store without some of the items I went there for.
    missthang42001

Answer by missthang42001 at 2:56 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• We have our bank transfer 100.00/week into a savings account. That way we don't see it, and don't miss it.

I also make a weekly meal planner when I grocery shop. I also make sure I only get what's on my list so I'm not over spending.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 2:59 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Don't save any right now because DH is laid off. But usually we have a tight budget and put savings in as a line item.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:02 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Use coupons, take advantage of sales, cut out any optional expenses. Some other things you can do are find a better deal on car and house insurance and when you go grocery shopping, real label and pay close attention to how much your paying per pound or oz.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 3:05 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• www.totallytarget.com
    www.coupons.com
    www.ebates.com
    mom23boys679

Answer by mom23boys679 at 3:07 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• we're paycheck to paycheck, always. But the truck is never repo'd and the lights never shut off. I budget either monthly or, sometimes, weekly. There's always an extra/emergency fund and obviously this month it's school supplies and school clothes.

good luck!
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:08 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Here are a few of the ways we save money-

I make our Laundry Detergent, Fabric Softener and Cleaners. It saves us so much money.

I make a monthly meal plan and we stick to it. I buy everything we need for it at the beginning of the month and then we only have to go to the store for the basics.

I cut coupons and watch sale ads. I buy in bulk when things are on sale and then find recipes to use based on what was on sale.

We do not buy things on credit....we only buy something if we have the money for it.

I am a stay at home, homeschooling Mom. My Husband only gets paid once a month so at the beginning of the month I pay all of our bills, get our monthly groceries, his tobacco and put gas in the vehicles. We don't have much left over for the rest of the month and we get stir crazy sometimes but we have everything paid for and have everything we need.

Check out Dave Ramsey too. He rocks. Good Luck
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 3:06 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I round everything (checks, debit card) up to the nearest dollar or 5 dollar in the check book or on deposits I round down the same and when it accumulates to $100.00 it gets deposited into savings and not touched. It kinda goes with out of site out of mind mentality.  Oh I've saved over $500 in 4 months. 

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 12:21 PM on Sep. 5, 2010