It takes my kids so long to eat!

For example they are eating a small cup of ice cream and it has taken them almost 30 minutes to eat that. Even with meals it takes them about 45 minutes to finish eating. Sometimes it annoys me that it takes so long that I just sit down beside them and feed the food to them myself because it takes them so long to finish eating. How do I get them to speed up eating?

missthang42001

Asked by missthang42001 at 2:59 PM on Sep. 4, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Eating slow is good for digestion, so I wouldn't worry too much!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:03 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Mine takes forever, too! I guess it is better to take your time eating as it helps avoid overeating and weight problems, as well as better digestion. As long as they are actually eating and not goofing off there isn't much you can do except start meals earlier to allow them plenty of time to eat so you can get things done That is what I have to do.
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 3:03 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Make sure they're hungry when they sit down and give them smaller portions?! I don;t know. But in the scheme of life, this should rank on the low priority list! Children shouldn't be little robots, and you can't expect them to rush through everything to be on your schedule.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:05 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• My kids never did this but my granddaughters do. I take the opportunity to unwind a little and chat with them. If I know we have to be somewhere then I make it an easy meal to eat, like a sandwich, and they can even take it in the car.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:05 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I like a relaxed pace at mealtime, and I believe that it helps the children learn what it feels like to be "full" and to stop without overeating.
    lovesergei

Answer by lovesergei at 3:07 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• The problem is this slow pace for eating that they have at home carries over to school. There are days when my kids come home from school saying that they were not able to finish their lunch at school because they ran out of time all because they are eating too slowly.
    missthang42001

Comment by missthang42001 (original poster) at 3:12 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I guess all you can do is talk to them about eating faster at school. And be ready for them to have a snack when they get home. If you pack their lunch maybe make it smaller?
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:22 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Well, not being able to finish their lunch at school is a natural consequence to eating slowly. If they want to be able to finish their lunch at school, they'll speed it up. You won't have to do anything.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 3:34 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Um, eating slowly is good for your digestion and keeps you from overeating (you're more likely to realize you're full if you're eating slowly, and therefore less likely to gain more weight than you'd like). You can talk to them about speeding up a bit during lunch so that they are able to eat the whole meal, but there's no reason they should have to eat quickly at home.

Also, what's wrong with your kids savoring the taste of your meals? Not everyone has to scarf their food down like puppies without even tasting it. I think your kids have the right idea on this one, sorry.
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 3:43 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• As been said.. Its really good! And we should learn from our kids.. Also notice kids never get up from the table in "misery" but ready to go run around ... while want to plop on the couch.. lol..

My dd pretty much sits to eat dinner with us, but her plate is set out for her to nibble on for a good 2hrs because she will eat a few bites & not want anymore. that is fine. before dinner her plate is eaten & i know she ate well.. and that is what is important..

If I made her sit at the table to finish her plate or the family HAD to keep sitting for everyone we would just go crazy.
    I ate slow as a child & only started eating faster once I had timed lunch at school & mg BFF's mom wouldnt let us leave the table until everyone was done.. I got the "hurry up! we want to go outside" alot.. Should have stuck to my slow eating ways..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 4:43 PM on Sep. 4, 2010