King size Crochet Question

I know how to crochet, but I do not know how to read a pattern. I am trying to make a King size blanket. I have no idea how much yarn to buy for a blanket that big. I just need to know how many total skeens of yarn to buy. I plan on using two colors equally. I want to get all the yarn at once to save trips and searching for matching lot numbers. I have searched for an answer on the web and it seems to be futile.
Thanks for any crafty ideas!

wmbeener

Asked by wmbeener at 3:08 PM on Sep. 4, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Here was a forum question that answers it for a simple afghan....  It really depends on the pattern....but 16 skeins or 6+ pounds sound right.   It really depends on the stitch, weight and pattern.

WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 3:17 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Well, if you can find the quantity for a twin, then I think you can take that and multiply it by two. Let me go look in my books and see if I can find a pattern.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 3:12 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Thank you for the link and the twin idea. I'm a bit ADD so my ideas can be like swiss cheese.
    wmbeener

Comment by wmbeener (original poster) at 3:23 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I would suggest that if you are gonna attempt to make a king sized Afghan, buy your yarn with the big pounder skeins because then you have less attachment points. I would get a coupon from Joann's and buy seven pounder's...that way you will have plenty to make it...it is always better to be safe than sorry. Just remember that a double crochet stitch will require less yarn than a single crochet.... Good Luck and enjoy!
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 3:28 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I wish someone would have warned me about not being able to move the blanket once it was done. I have doubled up on the yarn, two strands at once and I have a small work space and have to fold it and keep flopping it over, but it is looking great. Thank for all the great help ladies.

wmbeener

Comment by wmbeener (original poster) at 9:00 PM on Jun. 22, 2011