Someone explain this 'kids' meal toy to me...

Okay so I took my kids to Burger King, something we rarely do, and allowed then to get a kids meal that comes with a toy, even more rare. They were out of the actual toy for this promotion which I wasn't thrilled with anyway being Wrestling doll looking things but it wasn't horrible. Anyway what his meal came with was actually from a few promotions back. It was Eclipse! What on Earth is a PG 13 film toy doing in a KIDS meal? It was this stupid toy wallet with a collection cards from the movie in it. My son wanted to know all about this move and then asked if he could watch it. I of course said no but really...Why was this a kids meal toy?

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 3:12 PM on Sep. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• That happened to my sister too. She went back and asked if they had any actual toys.
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 4:16 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Because people let their kids watch that crap and don't monitor the movies their kids watch. Also even if it is a PG13 movie it is still marketed to kids.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:14 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• lol. Most kids buying 'kids' meals are under 10! I mean really eclips for a 4 or 5 year old? My son is 6 and it never crossed my mind to let him watch that!
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 3:16 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• The power of advertising and merchandising! I can't blame you for being disgusted, I would be also! I believe that promotion was geared to the "big kids" meal and not meant for under 10 crowd and it was a huge error on the local manager's part to not have a better substitution. Probably just assumed that nobody was going to complain or find it offensive! I would call BK corporate and complain.
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 3:19 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• lol
    well, now i know where to send my friends to eat.
    but i don't think that Eclipse toys should be in a kids meal.
    Moon_Mama

Answer by Moon_Mama at 3:19 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I have to laugh because my very first job in high school was the magicians assistant to the REAL Burger King. We did a traveling show that we went from store to store in the New England area. Sad part was the guy was a drunk. He could never remember my name and would call me different names during the same show. I got really good at some of the tricks because with him on the bottle, I had to finish the act. I also did birthday parties at Burger King, they had a separate room and I had to entertain 20 to 30 children for 2 hours. I took their orders for meals, cut the cake, played silly games. It was the best job, ever.

Joeygoat

Answer by Joeygoat at 3:20 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Yes I said no. He may not watch a PG-13 movie. It is PG-13 for a reason. And yes the Wrestling toy is ridiculous too. I think I even said I wasn't thrilled about it. I'm confused as to why you are upset? lol.
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 3:21 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• LOL... Many moons ago, I used to work for the distribution company that supplied BK. Burger King tends to jump on the band wagon for whatever they think is going to be a big deal..... The buyers are morons. As a customer of those types of places, when my two oldest were little I accumulated so many happy meal toys...flippin crazy.... my little guy has never gotten one. If we stop for lunch or drive-thru, I simply order him chicken nuggets and apples, and he shares my fries... Not going down that road again! LOL....
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 3:23 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• It's kind of funny when I was a kid the kids meal toys weren't marketing. I miss tose toys. I really wish I had saved the little transforming toys McDonald's did. YOu know the drink and burger and fries and stuff that turned into robots!
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 3:24 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Yeah I typically split a pack of nuggets and get 1 apples and one fries to split between them. It was supposed to be special to get them!
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 3:26 PM on Sep. 4, 2010