How do you know if you have lost your mucus plug?

I think i lost my mucus plug, but i'm not sure. How do you tell the difference between that and just regular discharge? And yes i know this is gross!

Married12Kevin

Asked by Married12Kevin at 2:22 AM on Oct. 13, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I just had my baby last week so I know what to look for.. its almost a snot looking discharge.. sometimes it has a slight tinge of blood.. but mine was yellowish and thick.. it comes out in bits or in one big chunk (sorry to be gross) wear a liner if you think you may be losing yours.. it can take a few days... it almost looks like a really gross booger...
    carriebeth864

Answer by carriebeth864 at 2:50 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• idk personally but some answers i have seen on here they all have said that it looks like little clumps other then that idk honney ...
    iloveyall2008

Answer by iloveyall2008 at 2:24 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• As you near the end of your pregnancy, your cervix will begin to thin out and dilate. As it changes, you may lose your mucus plug and find a gooey deposit in your underwear or on the toilet tissue after wiping. It is not uncommon for this mucus to be mixed with brown, pink, or red streaks of blood from the changes occurring within your cervix. Some women may lose the plug at 36 weeks' gestation, while many others may not lose it until labor has begun. Sometimes moms-to-be may not even notice that they are losing their mucus plug because it happens gradually, over several weeks, and they've already grown accustomed to varying but increased amounts of the vaginal discharge that often accompanies a normal pregnancy. If you are earlier than 36 weeks' pregnant when you see blood-tinged mucus, or if you have any vaginal bleeding beyond the first trimester, you should call your practitioner.
    iloveyall2008

Answer by iloveyall2008 at 2:26 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• more at http://www.drspock.com/article/0,1510,5901,00.html
    iloveyall2008