Hygene...help! adult content

I have a 7 year old boy who doesn't seem to get the point of personal hygene. He showers when we tell him to, and does a good job. However when he poops he doesn't wipe and doesn't flush! I know he doesn't wipe because there is no toilet paper in the toilet when I come behind him later and flush it. Also, there are always skid marks in his underware...gross! We have talked until we wre blue in the face trying to explain to him why it is important to keep yourself and your space clean, but he acts like he never knew any better! Is this normal? Anyone have a problem like this before? What do I do?

momof3josephs

Asked by momof3josephs at 3:33 PM on Sep. 4, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I'd get him some flushable wipes and if he doesn't start using those, I would start punishing him. His fecal matter can make other people very very sick. Its something that needs to be taken serious and deserves punishment if he doesn't even try to get himself clean.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 3:37 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• My 5 year old son loved to wipe when it was a wipe and not just paper. So to get him to wipe I have asked him to use paper first and then only one wipe that must be put in the garbage not the toilet. If there are no wipes he tends not to wipe at all, so each day after school I have to check him for skids.
    wmbeener

Answer by wmbeener at 3:39 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Maybe you should buy him flushable wipes? You could also explain to him that he could get pretty sick from not wiping and being clean in the "butt area" - for example, if he scratches an itchy butt and then puts his hands on his face, he could give himself pink-eye!
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 3:40 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• We actually all use baby wipes, and I have some in there and told him he could use either paper or wipes.
    momof3josephs

Comment by momof3josephs (original poster) at 3:42 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• i had to explain to my son that just because your poop is in two pieces doesnt mean you only wipe twice...
    mama_lively

Answer by mama_lively at 3:45 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Maybe if you start wiping for him, he'll get tired of it (or embarassed by it) and start doing it himself. Has this always been a problem or did he just one day decide he wasn't going to do it anymore??
    CarlyCo

Answer by CarlyCo at 3:46 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I has always been a bit of a problem, but now I KNOW he is old enough to know better...maybe doing it for him, and always checking after him would help.
    momof3josephs

Comment by momof3josephs (original poster) at 3:47 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Have him rinse out his underwear by hand. He'll probably get pretty tired of doing that pretty quickly and start learning to wipe. If not, you'll have to have him call for you so you can make sure he does a good job each time. Hopefully it'll be embarrassing enough for him to decide to do it properly without you standing there.
    LostTheSlipper

Answer by LostTheSlipper at 4:14 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• My son did the same thing....your not alone! We just kept plugging away at it pointing out when we could smell it cause he didnt wipe....we didnt make fun but we did point it out and he just kinda stopped (or started) doing it on his own. I don't know that there is any real way to fix this it's just like potty training....just be patient.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 5:09 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• At his age he is certainly old enough to wipe and flush, but boys do tend to forget. I would have him rinse out skid marks and if the no flush keeps up have him scrub the bathroom. I am sure his memory will improve.

higherboundmom

Answer by higherboundmom at 7:03 PM on Sep. 4, 2010