• In the Spotlight:

Am I crazy for not allowing my three year old to run around the neighborhood unsupervised?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 3:35 PM on Sep. 4, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Oh Hell NO! Lovin. .Mason is 5 and I don't let him roam.... Hugs to you!
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 3:36 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Absolutely not..my 3 year old would never be anywhere unsupervised. I see parents do that and it makes me so upset. They only have themselves to blame when something horrible happens to him/her.
    momof3josephs

Answer by momof3josephs at 3:37 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• No, I don't think so, but apparently many people think it is just fine. Blows my mind when I see it.
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 3:38 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Of course you are not crazy, but I know alot of parents in my neighborhood who would think you were. I see so many young children let out with no supervision, it's like people don't care if there child gets abducted or run over! But those are the kids it will never happen to.
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 3:44 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• no, thats too young
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 3:37 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• No - acutally thank you for not letting your three year old roam around the neighborhood unsupervised...anyone who does is nuts! I let mine play in my fenced back yard, and I come and go, but my 7 year old son is out there with her. I check on them every few minutes still.
    kicknscreamn222

Answer by kicknscreamn222 at 3:43 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• No, you are not crazy! My son is 6 and I don't let him run around either!
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 3:40 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• No way, my 7 year olds are limited on where they can go in my neighborhood.
    sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 3:38 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I would only think you were terrible if you DID allow a 3 year old to roam around outside alone. That is irresponsible parenting! Nope, I think you're totally sane!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:42 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• No. My dd was almost 4 yo before I would let her play alone in our fenced in back yard. Running the streets, never. Not in today's world. I have a family about 8 houses up the street and the children age (approximately) 18 months to 6 years old all riding bikes in the street. Our street takes a blind turn there and I just pray that they won't get hurt. I have given up going that way while driving. These children do not get out of the way and something tragic is going to happen.

Joeygoat

Answer by Joeygoat at 3:45 PM on Sep. 4, 2010