So Long Summer: Back to School Do you know any tips/resources that parents can use while helping older kids with homework?

Answer 10 of CafeMom Team's So Long Summer Questions this Labor Day Weekend and win a Virtual Vacation award for your Answers profile page.

Ask your own, and then link to it from this group post, for some extra sunshine.

Learn more in the Answers Group.

CafeMom Team

Asked by CafeMom Team at 3:39 PM on Sep. 4, 2010 in

• Yep, look at their textbooks...almost all textbooks today have internet websites with study guides, quizzes and multimedia....
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 3:47 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Oh, and your local library has tons for resources for homework help!
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 3:48 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• In addition to what WoodWitch mentioned, ask your child's teacher for the answer keys for homework assignments that may be beyond your scope or you've become rusty on! Sometimes it helps to work backwards from the answer or help you understand the question and what is really being asked. You don't let your child know you have the answers, they are ONLY for the parent to help guide and correct.

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:55 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I suppose it depends on what exactly the child needs help with... and what you mean by "older kids". At some point they HAVE to learn to do things for themselves.

If we are really talking "older" (middle school and high school) I will answer a question or proof read if asked.... but they need to be responsible for their education. I will also hire a tutor if need be. But it is the time for them to learn to do what is required with out mommy following after. Im not going to go to college with them to make sure that they turn in what then need to when they need to.

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 4:15 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• If by "older" you mean upper grades in elementary school........ I will help them organize, and help answer questions, or explain something....... but it is STILL their work. I will NOT do their projects for them. I will help them study, I will help them organizes (direct only)..... but I am a firm believer that kids need to learn by doing.

These are of course children with out learning disabilities.

sahlady

• Be VERY patient.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 4:22 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I used to let my daughter take her book bag and so forth to her room but then we started having issues with her working coming up missing. I really do not know what she was doing with it because we never did find it in her room. But, I started making all the kids dump their book bags in the dinning room area and they were to do their homework at the dinning room table. This gave them more structure and not only was there no more missing work but some grades went up also. I allowed them to us headphones and mp3 players to listen to their own music and if they were not doing homework they had to leave that room instead of distracting those who were studying. I think it is very important to create that space that can be used to study and go over work and other school business with you.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 5:07 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• As usual, woodwitch's answer is perfect.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:20 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I have an 8 year old, so I don't think she is "older". I always check her work before she puts it into her bookbag. I have a 5 year old also and so she really doesn't have much homework, but I help her with it.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 7:09 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Be patient. If they have trouble with their work, be ready to help them (and not condescend them for being confused). If you can't figure it out, get a tutor.
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 7:38 PM on Sep. 4, 2010