Why do the Fast Food places ask "Boy or Girl" when getting a happy meal?

why don't they just ask which toy the kid wants? It makes the kid feel awkward if they actually want the other one.

Like a girl can't like Superheroes?
A boy can't like Petz? (or whatever its called)

Its not that bigga deal, but it bugs me. I always end up asking what the toys are and just choosing the toy, not the gender.

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 3:45 PM on Sep. 4, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Because if the girls get a boy toy then they are upset we are after the Madame Alexander dolls right now so we'd be upset to get a boy toy. You're right they need to say which toy do you want because my daughter has to take hers back frequently if I don't say which one she wants
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 7:07 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Well, the toys at McD's right now are Madame Alexander dolls and Batman ... (my 17 year old son works for McD's) ... they ask because MOST little boys aren't going to be thrilled with a Cinderella doll, and MOST little girls won't want whatever the Batman toys are. Of course, there are exceptions.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 3:47 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I don't know.

I have never bought a "Happy Meal" before.. lol
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:55 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• My daughter nearly always prefers the girls toy, but there have been times when she wanted the boy toy ... she just goes to the counter and says "excuse me, but can I please have (whatever)?" It's good practice for her, and they're always very willing to trade it. No worries.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 4:06 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• That's what they were trained to ask.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 3:47 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• My daughter is forever getting the boy toys. When they ask don't respond "boy" or "girl", instead say My child would like Littlest Pet Shop or Batman or whatever. If your at the counter let your son respond with the toy he would like. I can see how your son would not like the response "girl" - I don't like saying that my daughter would like a "boy toy" either because of the mental images it brings up for me.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:20 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Gender stereotypes are everywhere. I get what you're saying, and yeah my boys would prefer some of the girl toys they have out. I've been inside and ordered my kids happy meals and they still asked me boy or girl.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 4:30 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I'm glad they do, my daughter would be highly PO'd if she was given a batman toy when there are dolls...and the reverse for my son. If the child wants the other, the parent can always ask...its really not that big a deal.
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 3:50 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• My son wanted a Pet Shop Toy and I had to say "Well its a boy, but can I still get the "GIRL" toy?" So.... ya see how that would make the boy feel awkward?

Why don't you answer with "Pet Shop"? Just because they ask boy or girl doesn't mean you have to answer boy or girl and make a big deal of it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:59 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• They NEVER ask me! obviously if I go in there they just automatically know I have a boy and give me a boy toy, but in the car its a toss up on whats going to be in there.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 4:02 PM on Sep. 4, 2010