What do you do to save money?

I am wanting to start conserving money, and I saw on another question that someone made their own laundry soap. What things like that do you do to save money? Are there other household things you can make?

momof3josephs

Asked by momof3josephs at 3:46 PM on Sep. 4, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Replace meats with beans, lentils, tofu, seitan, etc. You can save even more money by using dried beans and lentils and making your own seitan.

Cook from scratch! Home cooked foods taste so much better than the nasty boxed stuff, and you will feel better because you are eating healthier foods.

Replace simple grains (white flour, white rice, white pasta, etc.) with whole grains (brown rice, whole wheat pasta, whole grain breads, etc.). While whole grains may cost more, they have more nutrition and are more filling, so they really are the better value.

Frozen fruits and vegetables have a longer shelf life than fresh and retain their nutrition longer; they are often a better, less expensive option than fresh.

Once or twice a week have breakfast for dinner.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 10:03 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• cut back on all the little things. look at all your monthly expenses and decide what you don't need, you'd be suprised how much those nickels and dimes add up
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 3:48 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I grow lots of vegetables in my gardens, I do a lot of canning and freezing, I dry herbs from my garden, I shop the day-old baked goods and the scratch/dent bin for canned goods, only purchase items that are on a really good sale, barter for my daughter's dance lessons, shop for clothing mainly at thrift stores, walk to and from work each day, do not have cable tv .... the list goes on and on. We're on a very tight budget since my husband's death.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 3:52 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I got rid of paper towels and paper napkins. I purchased a yard or two of cotton cloth and cut and hemmed them into napkins. I have also used bandanna's for napkins, too. I bought some golf towels that were printed wrong from a local printing shop, and I use those in the kitchen for cleanups. I also refill my Swiffer bottle, I cut a small hole in the top, refill with my mix of Fabuloso and water and then I stick a piece of duct tape to keep the hole closed. I use old toothbrushes to clean the little places around faucets, I also use them to brush off stuff that gets into my keyboard.

Joeygoat

Answer by Joeygoat at 3:54 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• bleach and water to clean with. Unplug all of your electronics that arent' in use. I heard the other day on tv that an lcd or flat panel tv uses the same oamount of energy turned off that it does turned on...I would check just to be sure, but I believe that's what was said. Also, unplug phone chargers, toaster, blow dryer anything that's not in use... I'm bad about this, but I've heard it helps!
    mommystiebler

Answer by mommystiebler at 4:00 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I stopped buying paper towels...I use bar towels that I wash. I make my own cleaners, laundry detergent and dishwasher detergent. I bake my own bread and make everything from scratch. I cancelled all magazine subscriptions, cancelled all the features on my home phone (it only rings), cancelled long distance service and we do not have cell phones. Everything gets unplugged when not in use. I use CFL bulbs in every fixture in my house. I only by store brands. I hang my clothes outside to dry when the weather is nice. No lights are on in rooms we don't use. We only spend money on necessities and our bills. We haven't been out to eat or to the movies in years. Books, Movies and Music all come from the library for free. We've suffered layoffs and reduced hours in my house for the past two years...so we do the best we can, all our savings are gone and there is nothing left each week to save...very depressing at times.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 6:32 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• We put a percentage of our monthly income into savings. Have done so for 25 years (even if that was just $5.. we tucked it away..lol)

That's it really. We do not have a whole lot of expenses, we generally live below our means anway. So we do not scrimp or save money in any other way than just putting money away every month.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:52 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Dish powder instead of caps hand washing most of them, dropped the Cable and started Netflix at 9.98 a month, switched to a local cell phone provider (Metro PCS), meal plan, shop multiple stores for sales or groceries, cut the hot water heater down a notch, Keep the house a little warmer in the summer and cooler in winter. (78/80 while out and 66/64 while out) Switching to store brands for most products, Stopped eating out so often(If we were going to be out during a meal time we pack a lunch/dinner in a cooler. Yes we are the dorks at the mall eating sandwiches in the parking lot .lol) I think meal planning, dropping cable and the cell has made the BIGGEST difference.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:53 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Direct deposit into other accounts on a monthly basis so the money is never in my checking account.  I try to watch my grocery bill because next to the mortgage it's my biggest monthly expense.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:54 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• buy in bulk. things we use a lot of like chicken or toilet paper. use fans instead of the ac. instead of going to things we have to pay to get into we go to free stuff, like today we went to the hot air balloon festival at the park.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 3:55 PM on Sep. 4, 2010