So how do you actually make your own clothes detergent?

There was a recent question about our favorite kind and I saw quite alot of you make your own. How do you make it ? And does it work as well as store bought brands?

Rachel24517

Asked by Rachel24517 at 3:54 PM on Sep. 4, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I made liquid detergent. Found the recipe on the Duggar family website! I made about 5 gallons worth. essentials: bucket, water, borax (I skipped the borax and used baking soda, works just as good and is safer), washing soda (I didnt have any so I baked baking soda to release the carbon dioxide and it worked! but dont breathe it in! I sneezed a million times in a row). you can also add essential oils!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:04 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Here is mine.... and by the way... Commercial laundry detergent has more borax in it by volume than homemade and also contains ethyl alcohol....Borax is very safe to use and can be found in any store.  Washing Soda has a different PH than baking soda and can be found in some grocery stores, hardware stores and on-line.  Arm & Hammer makes it.

WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 5:01 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Oh and Fabric softener can be made from vinegar and hair conditioner! LOL.... And for those of you addicted to Febreeze... fabric refresher is nothing more than watered down fabric softener and baking soda!
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 5:02 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I made mine from the Duggars Website.
    You can find it here
    http://www.duggarfamily.com/recipes.html
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 7:20 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Every so often when I was a kid we would run out of hair conditioner. My mom used to say use the fabric softener instead that they were the same thing! WoodWitch's comment reminded me of that. You can also use just 1 cup of vinegar instead of fabric softener.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 10:20 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I make my own. There are tons of recipes to find online, and I've tried several of them. Some work better than others. I'm going to try the one on Hillbillyhousewife.com next. (She has a lot of frugal living tips) I'll have to get back to you on how well it works. LOL Give it a try, though. It's not that hard and it saves a ton of money.
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 9:35 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• i just use borax and washing soda. my dd has skin reactions to using bar soap, so i use orange oil for scent. i have a lot of little kids, and honestly, i think it cleans as well as ecos. once in a while some items get agood day long soaking in oxy clean!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:39 AM on Sep. 8, 2010